Thursday, September 1, 2016

Bloodwalker



Hi! I'm back with another book review, this one the suspense/horror novel Bloodwalker by L.X. Cain. A couple of years ago, I reviewed a YA novel here called Soul Cutter. To my surprise, the author remembered me and contacted me when she released her next novel, which is the one I'm going to review today. I hope this doesn't come off as being egotistical but I always get really excited when authors whose books I've previously reviewed--usually from LibraryThing contests--contact me to review new releases independent from LT. It's doubly exciting if I enjoyed the first book, and in most cases I did. As a smaller book reviewer and blogger in general, it's a cool feeling. I also get a book I'm more than likely going to enjoy out of the deal, so how can you do much better than that? But anyway, let's get to the book.


What's the book about? 

Bloodwalker tells the story of Rurik, a lightning-scarred former Zorka Circus strongman turned head security for the troupe. After realizing that it's a bit more than coincidence that local children continue to come up missing during the circus's tour performances through different cities, he decides to quietly investigate. Driven by the fact that the children were kidnapped by someone wearing a clown's costume, he concludes that the killer must be one of his own and this leads him to several suspects in the circus, one of whom is the ringmaster himself, a man Rurik has deep respect and appreciation for. This book also focuses on the story of Sylvie, a bloodwalker whose bad luck seems to follow everyone she interacts with. Sylvie starts the book as one of three bloodwalker brides taking part in a three-fold arranged marriage, which is being officiated by someone on the circus grounds. As a result, Sylvie and Rurik interact very briefly, but the shared link between them is actually much deeper and part of a much larger picture than either of them knows and this eventually brings them back into each other's orbits.


What I liked:


-I liked that this book wasn't told from a Western viewpoint or in a Western society. I think exploring the nuances of another culture, especially a non-Western one, can really enhance a book and blow open the door of possibilities. For me, Bloodwalker is a good example of that because it changes the reader's expectations of the outcome of a conversation, changes the characters' demeanors throughout it, and allows for an entirely new set of rules, traditions and mannerisms to be included.

-I actually really enjoyed that Sylvie and Rurik spent most of the book dealing with their individual halves of the story but the real meat of the novel involved them both. 

-I loved that there was a tie-in between the history of the Bloodwalkers and an actual historic event (which I won't spoil) that made sense to both the story and the grim prospects for survivors left behind. It was an unexpected addition and I liked it.

-I liked how the plot flowed together. I didn't really notice any plot holes, most of my questions had been answered at the conclusion of the book but there was still a little wiggle room in case another story about the Bloodwalkers is on the horizon. 

-I liked the 'whodunnit' element in the book. There were so many viable suspects and believable red herrings that it could have been virtually anyone off of the list, and it didn't start becoming apparent until towards the end who the killer may have actually been.

-This is a smaller note, but I liked that at the beginning of most of the chapters, an excerpt from The Bloodwalker's Bible was included. They were morbid, practical (and some unintentionally funny) little anecdotes that helped make the story a bit more real. 

-I noticed this with Soul Cutter as well, but I enjoyed the growth of the main character(s) throughout the book. Rurik came to some healthy realizations about himself and this changed his perception of the world he was part of. How one feels about themselves really can shape their mind as to how they think everyone else sees them, and it can be eye-opening to discover that sometimes, you are your own saboteur.

-Finally, something that I didn't realize I liked until I was about to edit the cover of this post was that I liked the juxtaposition of the circus, an event primarily created to bring joy and entertainment to others, with someone who killed as ruthlessly (and grossly) as this killer. There's a bit in the story with Rurik and one of the circus clowns following the clown's performance, and the author describes the clown speaking with disgust, which contradicted with the sickly smile painted onto his face. It's a great little bit of contradiction that you could explore from various angles--those in comedy often have the darkest tales, and oftentimes its those with the most unassuming exteriors who have something to hide. When it's literally one's job to wear a mask to work, whether it be painted on or slipped over the face, and embody a character, it's much easier for one to hide what they do in the dark. I have a darker view of circuses myself so for me they're a prime locale for a murder-mystery or horror, but I enjoy the surface perception of a circus being layered with murders in the manner they were committed in Bloodwalker. 


What I didn't like:

-Without spoiling the climax of the story, I wish Sylvie's realization about herself and resulting action during the end fight would have had a little more 'oomph' to it.

-I guess it's more of a personal complaint rather than one about the book, but I wish Sylvie'd had a little more backbone. There were more than a few times I'd wished that she'd punched someone in the face. lol

-Lastly, while I'm perfectly fine with the romance not being a focal point of the book, I wish we'd gotten to see a little bit more of it while it was developing. 


Overall:

Overall, I loved Bloodwalker and found it a very intriguing read. One of my favorite things about L.X. Cain's writing is her ability to create this very immersive culture and atmosphere, one that feels so authentic you Google it to find out if it actually exists (I'm not saying I did that. I'm just saying one might do that because its so believable)They permeate the entire novel and color every interaction, which I think brings the reader further into the story. I think it would change the complexion of the story if you changed the setting or the society in which certain events took place, and I like that. It brings some individuality to the story. As a previous reviewer of this author's work, I did find it a little difficult not to compare the writing style from the first book to this one. But because I was already acquainted with it I could tell that while it had improved, it was still true to the way she prefers to tell a story. A personal note that I made while reading Bloodwalker was that in my review of Soul Cutter a couple of years ago, my primary complaint was that while I thought it was a good read, the energy seemed a bit frenetic and the pace a little too fast and I couldn't keep up. With Bloodwalker, this was nowhere to be found. The style and jumps between scenes no longer have a rushed feel to them and this allowed me to enjoy the book that much more. There is urgency in the plot, but the reader can still follow along without getting lost. Bloodwalker was well-written, everything was so clearly and vividly described it felt like the reader was there, and unfolded at an appropriate pace considering everything that was included in the plot. It was riveting, drew me in from jump, and kept my full interest until the last page. Great read. 


Where can I buy a copy?

Bloodwalker doesn't hit the shelves until October 4th, but you can keep up with it on Goodreads and read the other advance reviews.


Contact the author here!

Blog | Facebook | Goodreads


post signature

1 comment:

  1. Thank you very much for reading and for your detailed review!

    ReplyDelete