Thursday, September 29, 2016

Autumn Aesthetic


Hello, fall. I don't know how fall usually is in your neck of the woods, but it seems to have found mine a bit earlier than normal, and we're already starting to see bits and pieces of fall creeping in. Usually it doesn't get cold until around Halloween, but the sun's going down earlier everyday (which does wonders for my seasonal affective disorder, as you can imagine lol) and the nights are already getting colder. As a result, the instinct that I get every fall to enter my cocoon and hibernate is already starting to come out. 







Fashion: low-top Converses and sneakers, plaid tops, bomber and military jackets, dark floral patterns, ripped and cropped jeans, high-waisted skinnies, snug caps and beanies, hoodies, booties and flat boots



When I had the idea to do a fall inspiration post last year, the things I'd selected seemed so quintessentially fall that I wasn't sure how I could create a post this year without repeating everything I'd already said. I wasn't sure that other things would inspire me for the season, but lo and behold, this year's list is drastically different. Last year I was really into pin-straight hair, structured pieces, and faux leather leggings and moto jackets. This year is much more basic and simple. 


Hair: darker colors, preferably a dark red or plum mixed with black, medium-length, messy casual styles


The darker trend has bled over to my hair, where I have yet again changed my mind on the color. Every season this year has gotten me interested in a totally different style and color. I wanted something short and light-colored in the spring, summer made me want something on the redder side (which I got and loved...for awhile lol), and now I'd like to get back to darker colors. I've had my eye on something dark purple with black undertones for a little while now and I'm not sure if I'll end up getting it or not, but that's what I've been on. No particular hairstyles in mind but I've been digging longer hair again.


Beauty: heavily arched brows, dark, matte lips, matte skin, smokey brown/copper-toned shadows, long lashes


With makeup, of course I'm digging the dark lip. What's fall without a dark lipcolor, right? Usually, I'd go for a dark red lip but I've been feeling adventurous this year (I've found that intense boredom and a 30th birthday on the horizon can awaken a long-sleeping wild streak) and to my surprise, I've been more into looks with deep purple, navy and even black lips. Fall, of course, marks the inclusion of orange and brown lip looks. As you can see from this collage (in which I had to include three of my YT faves because duh lol), there are a few things that stick out: heavily arched brows, dark, matte lips, smokey brown/copper-toned shadows and long lashes. I love the mix of looks in this collage, even though at first glance many of them look the same. There's something simple but dramatic about them and with the holidays coming up, many of these looks can be substituted if glittery, flashy looks aren't your style.


Headspace: cozy evenings, darker-themed photography, nature, books


Autumn Cozy (this is the first fall-themed site I found when I first wanted to do this post last fall; its still one of my favorites)

Tumblr is probably the best source for visual inspiration during the colder months and holidays. I love these sites for a bunch of different reasons but if you're a visual person like I am, then you might understand why these sites embody my aesthetic for the season. OAN, you have no idea how pleased I am that the word 'aesthetic' is something people actually use in daily conversation now. I'm the asshole that uses big words and other phrases that typically aren't in everyday conversation (I'm not trying to be pompous when I do it, it's just how I speak) so when I'd say 'aesthetic' before, people would give me the "Really?" face. They often looked like this 😒 and I had to use a different word for it. Now that it's 'in' though, I'm here for it. Anyway, here are some sites you should check out if you're struggling to get in a fall state of mind. It was one of these sites, actually, that I got the post header photo from and the collage is actually of all of those sites. The photography is darker, has a more solitary vibe, and puts out the perfect vibe for all that fall is about.






--mini pumpkins, lights and leaf-themed accents, rustic accessories and touches


 1. Glittery Pumpkin Candle Holders, Twig and Thistle
 2. Fall and Halloween Lanterns, Midwest Living (although you could leave the candles out and just fill each one with seasonally appropriate things like mini pumpkins, candy corn and/or acorns)
 3. Fall Wreath, Artsy Chicks Rule
 4. Celestial Pumpkins, Martha Stewart
 5. Sweater Pillows, Tidbits
 6. Hello Fall Door Hanger, Silhouette Blog
 7. Cranberry and Acorn Filled Hurricanes
 8. Pumpkin and Vine Centerpiece, Midwest Living
 9. Large Floor Pillows, Brit+Co.
10. Autumn Leaf Mason Jar Candle Holders, Spark and Chemistry

My goal for the colder months is, at some point, to create a cozy cocoon of comfort that I can read and sleep in. Most people would refer to said cozy cocoon of comfort as their bed, but I'm determined to bring my childhood love of forts into adulthood. Does a woman in spitting distance of her 30s really need a fort, tent or anything similar? Probably not. But I do what I want. 😎 Either way, this cozy cocoon starts with the smaller stuff, like the knitted sweater pillows and oversized floor cushions in this season's inspiration. 







--sweet, musky, food and spice-related scents

Usually, by the time fall comes around I've had about all of the fruity/floral/ocean I can stand for a little while so I welcome. lol These candles are now off-season so I didn't include the links to any of them, but you can probably find them for resale on eBay or Amazon. My absolute favorite of these candles is Marshmallow Fireside. It has a woodsy, toasty smell with a hint of sweetness that rounds out the scent notes and I love it. If you burn it with something, burn it with Pumpkin Pecan Waffles. The woodsy notes in Marshmallow Fireside tone down the sweetness of the pumpkin candle, and together they make a lovely mix. Set them on top of a warm surface while they burn; they enhance the smell.

Earlier this year, I did a post about natural DIY cleaners and fresheners. I thought I'd add on a small collection of fall-specific home fresheners in case candles aren't your thing. You just combine the ingredients and let them simmer in a pot. Super easy, no chemicals involved, and they smell great to boot. Maybe a little misleading to those who'll come in thinking you're making food LOL, but they'll be fine.






--spice blends, apple cider (which I find funny since I don't really like apple cider lol) chais and hot teas, cranberries and apples, pumpkins, potatoes (Russets and sweet), chilis and soups


Last year during Octoberfest, an annual promotion on my vintage site (which I'm doing again this year so please go check it out!) I did a post on the flavors I associated most with fall, so I wanted to try that out over here. For me, fall evokes a list of specific flavors and tastes in addition to the types of food I include, probably because the flavors change so drastically from summer to fall. Rather than grilled meats and specific dishes for summer, I think of particular spices and flavors. Pumpkin, pecans, sweet potatoes and apples are at the top of the list for me. This is also when my two favorite types of pie (the only two kinds of pie I'll eat, actually lol) become available again. What I love about this collage is that nearly everything in it is compatible with each other and there are quite a few dishes that can be created from the different combinations. Here are some meal options that remind me of the season. They aren't in the collage as this particular season for me is more about specific flavors, but in case the same is not true for you I included a handful of recipes anyway. 

Slow Cooker Chili, Fine Cooking
Basic Chai, Monterey Bay Spice Company
Calley's Sweet Potato Pie, Food Network
Baked Macaroni and Cheese for One, Allrecipes
Slow Cooker Pot Roast, Food Network
Decadent Pecan Pie, Betty Crocker








--relaxing ambient music, songs with softer notes

Autumn brings out that first instinct to hibernate and even though I've been too busy (or having health problems) to indulge, I want to burrow myself in a fort with a bunch of books and some music. I wish I could describe the type of music I find myself gravitating towards, but it makes no sense when I say it aloud. lol The closest I could get was soft, relaxing ambient music. I like the hype, loud beats during the summer and I don't mind it at times during fall, but for the most part I find myself moving towards quieter music. Some of it is so slow, so quiet, that it's borderline depressing lol, but here's a small fall playlist I threw together so you can see what I mean:


The main playlist is from Spotify but the one I created is from my song list on SoundCloud. If you're trying to find new music and liked any of the songs off of my playlist, I'd suggest SoundCloud to help you find more music in the same vein. Spotify, of course, has a larger library to look at, but there's a lot of great underground music that isn't on there yet. 


So that does it for this season's inspiration. The "See" and "Hear" portions of this inspo board were probably my favorites as they are the senses I probably use the most, but I also just liked the end result that I got in the post. If your mind is struggling to transition from summer to fall, I hope this helped get you in the right state of mind. I don't have much else to add here so per usual, I hope you enjoyed this post and I'll see you soon!


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment