Thursday, March 29, 2012

Bitchy Review: Mary Mary


 SN: I feel a little sacrilegious putting the word "bitchy" in the same sentence with Mary Mary considering that they're a gospel group, but I digress. That is the name of this site, after all, isn't it?

Anywho, Mary Mary debuted tonight as the replacement show for Braxton Family Values, which just wrapped up officially tonight. As I'm sure you all know, Tina & Erica Campbell make up the Grammy-award winning, 5 million album selling duo, with Erica being the older sister (surprising since I always had a problem telling them apart lol) and Tina being two years younger. Erica's husband Warren is the girls' producer, and Tina's husband Teddy is the drummer on the Tonight Show. Not bad, huh?

At the time of the debut episode, Erica was 7 months into her pregnancy (she has since had her child and Tina has announced that she is now pregnant) and their younger sister is their current stylist, much to the chagrin of the girls' manager, Mitchell. The show is about them trying to juggle full lives as mothers, wives to men who are also in the industry, their obvious duties as Mary Mary but more importantly, maintaining their relationship and bond as sisters.

I can see already that a large portion of the drama arc on this show is going to revolve around Mitchell and the ladies' sister/stylist--they do not seem to get along at all. The girls have a performance in this debut episode, and we're able to see that lingering tension, the fact that Tina is a perfectionist, causing them to run a little late, and that Erica is probably the calmer sister. What I enjoyed the most was that despite their tardiness, they still made the time to give all the thanks and glory to God. Most times when people are in a hurry, they put God on the backburner, with an "I'll pray later" or "He knows I'm grateful," instead of saying bump it to everything else and giving Him the thanks He deserves for even presenting the opportunity.

I gotta stay on topic. Anyway, my lawd these two can saaang! That's right, I didn't say "sing," I said saaaang. Listening to them always reminds me of my upbringing and childhood in the church, and it's always a pleasure to reminisce. It reminds me to always give my thanks to God in anything I do, no matter what. That's why I love gospel music so much and I think for no other reason, I'm going to love this show because I enjoy getting back to my roots.

The girls' manager waits until after their show to let them know they have an upcoming show in Atlanta for the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade, which has caused more than a couple of problems with Tina, as her kid's performance and her husband's gig on the Tonight Show are both the day before. Erica brings it up to her husband the next morning, who really isn't having it at first because all of his extended family will be there but (after a slight guilt trip lol) agrees to bring the kids out and spend the holiday with her. Tina's family can't make it and because of it, she doesn't want to do the performance because then she'll have to spend the day without her family, while Erica doesn't want to be alone and doesn't want to leave her family at home just because Tina's isn't coming. I sense a little lingering tension between these two as well, so hopefully like its sister show BFV, we'll see that explored a bit. Hopefully without the help of a family therapist on a permanent retainer; we already have Dr. Sherry. lol Tina's kids don't take the news well, which exposes Tina's guilt at being a successful performer because of her success at the expense of missing important moments as a mother. But the show goes on, and Tina's disconnection from her family hits her hard when she calls and everyone seems more busy with what they're doing than missing her--I kind of thought that was messed up. It must suck to have to be alone on the holiday and the only one who appears bothered at all is you. They're still busy, so they get off the phone with her and surprise her at the hotel instead, really lifting her spirits. Erica and Tina go on to have a successful show and end.

SN: I keep seeing previews for Shannen Doherty's new show Shannen Says and I cannot wait. The more previews they release, the bitchier they are making her look, and I'm still a fan from her days on Charmed. I want to see how different Prudence Halliwell really was from Shannen Doherty, and judging by the few previews I have caught, the two are night and day. I digress though, I love them both. Can't wait. lol 

A side story (and the focus of next week's episode) has been Erica's contractions, which are coming a little too early. Which is why I thank goodness that these shows are taped months in advance; Erica went on to have a healthy delivery--I wouldn't want to have to wait with baited breath to find out if the baby was born healthy. 

Bitchy (smh) Review: If you are expecting this show to be like watching Bobby Jones on Sundays on BET, sorry to say you're not going to find it here. Born again or not, there's gonna be some craziness on this show for no other reason than that they are so busy trying to juggle it all. There's going to be more impromptu singing so that's something these shows have in common; if you enjoy watching shows that genuinely put God first and don't hide it in an effort to cater to the needs of all of its audience, then this show could be something good for you. If you don't want a break from the craziness, however, then Mary Mary probably isn't for you. Fitting to the theme that March goes in wild as a lion and leaves tamed, the shift from the wild Braxton atmosphere to the tamer, calmer environment of Mary Mary fits as well. I don't know if I'd watch this every week, but I'm interested enough to give it a go.

Bitchy Rating: 3 (out of 5)

No comments:

Post a Comment