Saturday, June 20, 2015

My Summer Bucket List



As I continue to move through the daily ins and outs with anxiety disorders and agoraphobia, I wanted to do something fun to celebrate the summer. There are a number of things that I love about every season, but many of my absolute favorite things come during the summer. There's just something about this time of year that fires up my senses and makes me feel more alive. I'll probably touch on the things I love about the different seasons as these bucket lists continue, but there's just something about summer for me. Because of my anxiety and health issues, it was always summer that bothered me the most to miss out on. There is always the concern of relapsing and even though it has been a tough time lately with keeping my anxiety issues at bay, I'm going to keep fighting. I knew that I didn't want to spend another summer indoors, especially if I was well enough to at least go out in my local area. I knew that I wanted to push the button a little and do more. And so my idea to create a Summer Bucket List for myself was born. There was tons of inspiration online to draw from, so I was able to find some ideas that I liked from a few of those boards and add in a few of my own. I'll have probably added a few more on to the list below by the time summer is over and I don't expect to be able to do them all within the season, but it'd be absolutely super if I could. Here's my list:





*Mandy's Note: If you don't care about the details of the list, go ahead and skip to the bottom; this is a lengthy post. Otherwise, get a snack and proceed!*



1. Have a water balloon fight--What better way to bring the family together, get out of the house and cool off than a water balloon fight?

2. Set up tent for day camping--I bought a tent a few years ago and still have yet to use it. I have a pop-up tent, but this is a full on tent. I'd like to finally use it.

3. Make s'mores outdoors--Usually when we make s'mores, it's indoors, using the stove. I want to do it the proper way, at night in front of a fire. It sounds stupid, but what can I say, I'm easily pleased. lol

4. Have a paint fight--I saw this in a commercial, I forget which one, and I think it would be an awesome idea. I liked how they involved the neighborhood, which won't be happening here but it's still a fun concept.

5. Have two picnics at the park--I'd like to go on a picnic one afternoon with nothing but my Kindle Cloud app, my tent and some munchies to keep me company. My sister wants to picnic as well and I've been thinking of bringing my sisters-in-law with my nieces so they can join in, make it a 'girls' day out' kinda thing. 

6. Slide down a water slide--I've never been on a water slide. I think I went on a water ride once at the amusement park for my graduation, but that was 10 years ago. lol I've never been on an actual water slide before.

7. Go to the Plaza Film Festival--Every August, my city has a two-week block where loads of classic films are shown and I've never been able to go. It's like a mini-version of TCM's Summer Under the Stars, which I feature prominently over on All Things Vintage. The SUTS promotion and the Plaza Festival overlap each other, so this has grown to be one of my favorite times of the year. I'd love to go to the film festival when it comes back in August.

8. Eat a snow cone--I haven't eaten a snow cone since I was a kid. I have to confess that this is more about the ice they use for snow cones and less about the flavored syrup for the cones, which is usually too sweet for me now. LOL

9. Take a small road trip--This one is just a pipe dream, but it'd be nice to take a road trip to one of the neighboring cities, just for a day or two.

10. Play in the rain--My immune system is crazy low due to some of my lingering health issues, so whenever it is chilly or rainy outside, I won't even go out on the porch. I always felt my freest as a kid when I was out in the rain, dancing around like it was going out of style. I miss that bit of innocence.

11. Build a blanket fort on the bed--Look, I don't care how childish this sounds. I am of the firm opinion that you are never too old to build a good blanket fort. I might have to amend this and make a sheet fort because I'm not trying to die of heat stroke inside the fort, but I love them.

12. Run through sprinklers--This goes back to the rain one, for me there aren't many better ways to capture the carefree elation that often eludes us as adults than running through the sprinklers or out in the rain, with not a worry in your heart and cool drops on your skin. I also just miss running through sprinklers because it's hot as Hades outside.

13. Watch a sunrise & sunset--Two of my favorite things in life are sunrises and sunsets. I have a few too many photos of various 'rises and 'sets that I've taken over the years, and the collection continues to grow. I haven't just sat and watched either one in awhile though, so I'd like to do that this summer.

14. Feed the birds--Birdfeeding/watching is one of my favorite ways to relax and birds have more personality than most would think. I'm single for many reasons, and the reasoning behind this entry is further proof that things are as they should be. LOL

15. Stargaze--What's to explain? A warm summer night, a nice breeze, a can of Dr. Pepper (bc its me, of course it's going to be soda), and watching the darkened sky come alive with stars.

16. Make popsicles--This was on my bucket list when the kids were all younger, but we never got around to doing it. They're all teens or grown now, but none of them are going to turn down a popsicle. It'll still work. lol

17. Have one family game night--A few years ago, I started a family tradition that I was trying to make a long-term thing, so we made Thursday our Family Game Night. The tradition didn't continue, unfortunately, but I'd like to bring it back one last time.

18. Play bingo somewhere--Along with the child who lives for picking dandelions, blowing bubbles and running through sprinklers, there is a little old lady with a bejeweled gold lame hat, a neon-colored fanny pack and leopard print stirrup pants living inside me somewhere. It is a long-standing goal to go to one of those bingo halls and play a game, just once.

19. Make apple granola--I had this apple cinnamon granola a couple of months ago when I tried out the Blossom VoxBox and since then I've been on the hunt for a recipe that seemed similar. I've been open to trying healthier snacks for some time, but since my Wellness Challenge last month I've seriously been looking into new stuff. Apple granola is tasty and good for you...I think. lol It's certainly healthier than Hershey's with Almonds, no matter how much I try to justify the chocolate because of the almonds.

20. Get a hula hoop--Want an easy and cheap way to exercise? Get a hula hoop. It's a good way to loosen the bottom half, it works the muscles and the core, and if you're a parent this is an excellent way to implement exercise in such a way that the kiddos won't even realize they're exercising. I just like hula hooping, but I've found a good reason that justifies it. lol

21. Visit a farmers' market--I've never been to a farmers' market. I keep hearing people talk about how you should purchase your produce from there, that local is better. I just want to see what the hype is about.

22. Go to an antique store--One of the series I've been trying to start up on All Things Vintage is where I go to local vintage businesses and the like, which for me includes antique stores. There are a few here in town but they're pretty far from home so I was always a little anxious about going on my own because it takes so long by public transport. This summer though, it's a challenge I'm willing to accept. I love antiques and can't wait to get some great pics for the blog.

23. Make jam & fresh bread--The next thing to cross off on my to-make list is jam of some kind, so I'd like to make a jar of it along with some bread. I'm a little late to baking, but along with the child and old lady, there's also some really old school broad in me who likes making her own stuff. I'd really like to do it this summer.

24. Brew sun tea--I had a neighbor when I was 13 who, like clockwork every Sunday, brewed sun tea. He used to tell me that it was the best kind of tea I'd ever taste.

25. Go swimming--I usually don't swim. Like, ever. The last time I bought a bikini was 10 years ago and I've worn it exactly 4 times since then. It's hot as demon piss out here, I think it's time I bring the count up to 5. LOL

26. Make glow in the dark bubbles--I saw this on someone else's bucket list and thought it was too cool to pass up. My niece loves bubbles so I can't wait to get the recipe and try them out with her.

27. Try out some recipes--When I think about food, I think about ways to make each dish my own. My mind stays on the run about different ways to tweak various recipes and I'd like to try some of them out.

28. Finish all prelim plans for food truck--Now that I'm working on getting my blogs on schedule, it's time to turn my focus back to my desire for a food truck. The groundwork needs to be laid so I can figure out if or when this idea will be feasible to launch.

29. Do some summer DIYs--I love me a good seasonal DIY. I never know what to do with the finished product after the season is over, but I love them. They help put me in that season's state of mind and inspire me.

30. Make a flower crown/headpiece--I know the Coachella purists probably hate these, but I love them. I want a headband with smaller flowers going around the crown, but I also want a big, obnoxious one because why not?

31. Visit local places I've never been--My city expands all the time, but there's so much of it that I've never seen. I'd like to visit some of these places and see a few of the things I missed.

32. Make fruit ice cubes--I can't remember where I saw this idea, but I saw it a few years ago and have been wanting to try it ever since. I think we're going to give it a go for the 4th.

33. Write and finish a short story--Writing has been a hobby of mine for as long as I can remember and I have quite a few stories on various thumb drives. The thing is, all of those stories are unfinished. I'd really like to start and finish a short story rather than trying to finish a full-length one.

34. Go to a local show or event--I don't go to any of these. My agoraphobia usually kicks in and there's quite often some boob there who can't hold their liquor. I'm ready to find a local event or show that doesn't have the latter, challenges the former, and is still fun.

35. Make a wish at a fountain--This is just one of those random whimsical things that I love doing. I can't remember the last time I made a wish at a fountain.

36. Make some DIY shirts--I have some shirt ideas that I haven't been able to find in stores, so I'd rather just make my own. There's also a few ideas from my Pinterest board that I'd like to do.

37. Continue facing agoraphobia--This should be self-explanatory. I am more ready than I've ever been to keep fighting my anxiety and challenging myself, and most of the things on this list do just that for me.

38. Find a drive-in--Drive-ins are a vintage treat that I never got to indulge in. I think there's a dirty movie theater in town but that's another post for another blog. lol If there is one and I just haven't found it yet, I will.

39. Go to local business events--This goes with something that's a couple of numbers down on my list, and that's saying yes to the good stuff. I don't know much about the local business climate, but I could use the knowledge and won't get it unless I start going.

40. Do something for Sunday Funday--I always get jealous when people participate in Sunday Funday. Sunday is usually my day for laying around, planning out the week's blog posts (or playing catch-up, which is usually the case lol), and relaxing. I wouldn't call it FOMO per se, but I do feel like I'm missing out on doing something fun because I don't want to break my routine. lol

41. Say yes to the good stuff--I've gotten used to either saying yes to something when I wanted to say no, or saying no to social events. I'd like to re-learn the difference between saying yes because I want to, not because I feel like I should.

42. Get my hair cut properly--Last March, I went to a salon to have my hair evened out, but this broad totally took me for my money and didn't do what I paid her to do. I was pissed but got over it because I was afraid to go as short as I know I need to go. I'm ready now, so I want to get it over with.

43. Finish puzzle wall--I think I mentioned this during the post I did about my room this past spring, but I really like accent walls. I also really like puzzles. I wanted something that was unique to me, so I went for both. My bathroom door is my puzzle 'wall' of sorts, but right now it's only halfway completed. I want to see what it looks like when it's finished.

44. Go on a Ferris wheel--The carnival comes to town 2 to 3 times a year, sometimes more, and I never go. I'm not one for amusement parks, but it's been a long-standing bucket list item to get on a Ferris wheel one day....and not pass out from fear when I got up to the top. LOL

45. Go more places alone--This is a big one for me in confronting my agoraphobia. Usually I won't go too far from my house alone, but I'm determined to start trying again. I'm naturally a very independent person and I hate feeling like I need someone's hand to go anywhere, so I'm trying to get back to when I didn't need it all the time.

46. Join a book club--I haven't joined a book club since high school. Since I do more book reviews right now than any other kind, it'd be fun to find people I can connect with and talk about the books we've been reading.

47. Get a tan tattoo--I saw this on Tumblr and I thought it was great. I tan really easily so this is going to be a walk in the park.

48. Find somewhere to play tennis & volleyball--I'm not usually one for sports, but next to kickball, tennis and volleyball are the sports I enjoy playing the most. Tennis is something I can play alone, and I've always thought volleyball was fun. Now am I good at the latter? Probably not but I'd still like to find out where I can play. lol

49. Make some nerd DIYs--I follow this site called Our Nerd Home and it is a great source of inspiration and motivation for me. They made me feel like it was okay to have video game or other nerdy memorabilia up in my personal space, that it was okay that those things spoke more to my personality than an expensive vase or a abstract wall art piece that I don't understand. I have some ideas that I want to try out, partially because the DIY category here needs more entries lol, and partially because I need to see if the finished result is Our Nerd Home or Hefty worthy.

50. Make at least one "DIY For Cheaper" item--One of the series I wanted to start here is a DIY for Cheaper series of various DIY projects. One of my favorite things to do is recreate something for much cheaper because honestly, many things these days are grossly overpriced. If I can make something for $20 that would cost $80 in-store, of course I'm going to make it. It's not to rip off the store that created the product but if you can't afford it, creating something similar can be just as good.

51. Read a paperback--I was a late convert to cloud books and the like but now that I've been converted, I haven't gone back to paperback except for the rare occasion that I check something out from the library. I want to read an actual book again.

52. Make some jewelry to remember this summer by--I have a thing for commemorative stuff. I like remembering certain periods of my life with something I can wear. Pretty simple.

53. Work on blessings jar--I started a blessings jar at the beginning of the year, but in true Mandy fashion, while I have the blessings written down in a notebook, I haven't put them in the jar yet. I need to put it somewhere I can always see it.

54. Get at least one pet fish--You know you've been alone for too long when you seriously ask yourself if you want the responsibility of feeding a fish everyday and cleaning out the tank. LOL It wasn't one of my shining moments, obviously, but I love fish. I'd like to have some, but then I start worrying about not wanting the responsibility. It's a fish, not a dog. It'll be fine, Mandy. #pathetic

55. Make some "DIY For Cheaper' wall art--There are a few pieces of basic wall art that I really like, but they cost over $100. I'm intrigued by the prospect of finding a cheaper way to create something similar.

56. Make the terracotta smoker--One of the best things about summer is grilling. I keep coming across this idea for a smoker made from a terracotta pot, and it seems legit. And affordable, which was what actually swayed me. lol 



But before I close this out, what's this #SisterSummer I've been posting about on Instagram? About a day after talking about my list with my mom, my little sister mentioned that she had one too. My sister is usually a homebody, buried deep within the depths of her dark little crypt where only fangirling, K-dramas and 5 Seconds of Summer are allowed to dwell, so this was a bit of a surprise to me. Because we'd searched some of the same things, a few of our bucket list items overlapped. Some of the places she wanted to go my mom wasn't comfortable letting her go alone, so I agreed to tag along and that's how we came up with #SisterSummer. Since I'm IG'ing my bucket list, I figured we'd IG the #SisterSummer stuff as well and at the end of the summer, I'll put it all together so we have something to look back on and remember it by. I want our stuff to be easier for me to find though, so I'm changing the tag to #MKSisterSummer so we can keep track of our little adventures. My sister and I are two completely different people, we're at two very different stages in life and we aren't super close to boot, so this has the added benefit of maybe helping to bridge the gap a little bit and get to learn more about each other in the process.

I have to confess, my favorite thing about all of this other than actually being able to go to these places is being able to photograph a moment from all of them. The beautiful thing with photography is that it snaps and freezes one individual moment in a series of moments. It's fun to look back on that one moment and remember where you were, how much fun it was, and to capture the beauty of whatever it was you were doing. If you are sharing an experience with someone else, it's always pretty cool (and insightful) to see which moment they chose to freeze to remember it by. Yes, that sounded cheesy but I make no apologies. That's really how I feel about it. I am determined to make this a summer unlike the decade of other summers that preceded it and really try to enjoy this bit of life. And that's why for you, I challenge you to put together a Summer Bucket List of your own. Start out with 5 things. If you ever come across this post and decide to take on the challenge, let me see it on Instagram by tagging your photo with #rrntbucketlist. Here's to the Summer Bucket List!


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment