Sunday, January 5, 2014

TV Preview: 2014 Midseason Premieres



Now that the holidays are over and everyone has come out of their Christmas/New Year's stupor, it's back to the grind per usual come Monday. If you're looking for something to watch now that holiday specials are over and Scandal's on hiatus until next month, midseason premieres begin on Tuesday. I was on PopSugar earlier and they had a list of all the shows about to premiere from January 7th on. I was debating whether or not to even post about it since PopSugar had already done so, but there are a few shows on that list that I was looking at and those are the ones I decided to post. I haven't seen the trailers yet, so I don't know anything about any of them except for what I read on PopSugar.

More than likely, I'll be doing reviews on these shows as well. I don't have the energy or memory to sit through another entire midseason and try to do reviews on every show when not all of them were up my alley. I fell asleep during half and forgot about another third of them, sooo in short the overall mission was a fail. This is one of the many reasons why I couldn't be a reviewer over an entire genre of something. I'd be fired with no severance pay. Anywho, if these shows below aren't really your style, check out the PopSugar link and you'll be able to see all of the midseason premieres. I didn't feel comfortable covering the same topic with the same links; just felt like plagiarism. And Homey don't play that, so go look at it on your own. LOL


Fox

Enlisted--Friday, January 10th

This comedy is about three brothers (Chris Lowell, Geoff Stults & Parker Young), all enlisted in the military, who goof off and cause trouble on their base. I just want to see if this is about three idiots who unintentionally cause trouble, or if it's just one and the other two get dragged into it. I also like seeing the lighter side of the military in tv. With heavier shows like Army Wives or JAG in the back of my head, the military is usually a very formal, very serious topic so to see a comedy with three brothers who get stationed together and get to raise some hell together could be funny.




Rake--Thursday, January 23rd

The primary reason I want to see this is because I'm wondering how Greg Kinnear will handle this main character's story. He's a DA with a messy personal life and a pesky little addiction to gambling to contend with, all of which I imagine will give him one hell of a memoir someday. I also want to see the approach to this storyline--is it more of a serious theme, is it lighthearted, a healthy mix of both? It could be any of the three and still go well, so I'd like to see which one the writers chose.


ABC


Resurrection--Sunday, March 9th

This show sounds a little like Ghost Whisperer, only without Melinda or Aiden. lol Apparently, the citizens of a small town in Missouri who have died begin to show up alive again, starting out with an 8 year old who recently died. I'm sort of disturbed by this, but I'm also really intrigued. How did these people die and why are they coming back? Is there something dark at play here summoning them back, is it simply their ghosts or their actual bodies returning as though they had never died? I think those questions make me the most curious about this show, because there's so many places that a plot like this can go. Kurtwood Smith and Omar Epps star in this show, presumably of citizens of the town, but I don't know whether they're alive or not. lol


Mind Games--Tuesday, March 11th

I'm partially watching this because I've been waiting to see Steve Zahn in something I really enjoyed since I first saw him in Speak, and also partially because I really want Christian Slater to find a successful show on tv. lol I wouldn't normally put these two together at all, which in essence is one of the drawing points of the show. I'm also fairly curious about this whole "psychological manipulators for hire" concept. Zahn and Slater play two brothers, each with his own set of skills and questionable history, who come together and decide to pull together a team that will provide the above concept to clients or targets.













HBO

True Detective--Sunday, January 12th

Matthew McConaughey (in a move that kind of surprised me) and Woody Harrelson play a team of detectives on this upcoming series who are going over a particular case they were on 17 years prior that shook and traumatized them both. As they chronicle the case, we'll get to see it unfold. I'm a big Investigation Discovery fan, so I usually watch shows similar to what this show will be about. I'm interested in the whole kit and caboodle, and I like both actors. I wonder how well they'll mesh together in something that requires a strong camaraderie, especially for a case that is as intense as this one must be. 



Those are about all of the shows that I can say I genuinely am intrigued to see; there aren't too many but that's okay with me. There are a couple that are 'maybe baby' status for me, which I'll put below. I call them 'maybe babies' because I could watch them, but I could probably do without them as well and be just fine. The concept of the show either doesn't sound like it would make it past the first season or I'm just not interested enough to spend an hour watching it. I also call them 'maybe babies' because why not. I like saying it. lol

Fox

Gang Related--premiere date not listed

This show centers around a gang unit in the LAPD whose hands are full tracking and bringing down the city's most dangerous gangs, but the rub is that one of the gang unit members has personal ties to one of the gangs. Are they a former member, maybe a close relative is mixed up in one of the gangs? This show has Ramon Rodriguez and RZA from the Wu-Tang Clan at the forefront, so I wonder who's tied into the gang scene. It sounds like it has potential, but I'm not sure about it yet. Burnside seemed like it had potential too but you see what happened to that. So the jury's still out for me on this one.


The CW

Star-Crossed--Monday, February 17th

Another show to line to the CW's seemingly narrow range of programming, Star-Crossed is about two lovers (Aimee Teegarten and Matt Lanter) caught up in the dangerous and unaccepting environment around them. The female protagonist is a human, while her love is an alien of sorts and humans are not rolling out the welcome wagon for them. I love me a good love story, and I understand the appeal of shows with a Romeo & Juliet variation of some kind, but in recent years it's really gotten overdone, especially on the supernatural level. I guess I can thank The Twilight Saga for a lot of that. I'll thank 'em for that one, I'm a Twihard fo life. LOL But back on topic, because I'm kind of over the concept I don't know if I'll watch the show. However, I do want to know more about this alien race that ol' boy is part of. I do wonder a little about the backstory.




So those are the shows I'm looking at and on the fence about for this upcoming midseason. I don't watch a lot of current television; other than my cooking shows and a couple of dramas (all of which are either off-season or on hiatus of some kind) I don't watch much current tv. My DVR is full of shows and movies in syndication that I recorded because I can't find them on DVD. lmao I'm trying to get a little more into tv this year, so for once I paid attention to upcoming shows and decided to give them a go. I'll post reviews as the shows premiere!


*What, if any, midseason shows are you looking forward to watching? Any that you're on the fence about?*

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment