Friday, January 31, 2014

The Pinterest Project M1: Glitter Striped Heart Sweatshirt


I have been so excited to start this project. If you have just found my blog and haven't read any other entries, The Pinterest Project is a year-long project that I started this year to tackle my ever-growing DIY board on Pinterest as well as finally indulge in a little bit of crafting, which I don't usually get the time to do. It's an ongoing joke for most of us who love Pinterest that many of the things we pin on the boards we don't end up actually doing, so I also wanted to try and kill that theory as it pertains to me. I've had Pinterest about as long as it's been around, and so far I think I've done maybe 3 things in total. lol Another ongoing joke is that the stuff on Pinterest is always so well-made, while any attempts to replicate it look like crap. I really hope that doesn't happen here. lol

Moving on, I chose this Glitter Striped Heart Sweatshirt from WobiSobi for this month's project. I chose this because firstly, the design is cute and I never would have imagined that it was as easy and affordable to make as it was. Secondly, I don't have many sweatshirts. I don't have any, now that I'm thinking about it. So this was also a practical decision with the colder weather. It was easy enough for me to do just starting out with this series of projects, so I said why not. 
Image from WobiSobi
You can click the link above if you want to check out the original project. I followed the instructions but added a few modifications of my own. Here's my finished sweatshirt:

Here's the sweatshirt, then the button cuffs and the button
closure on the shoulders.
As you can see, my finished product isn't just like the original project. I used a few less stripes in my heart and my heart is a bit smaller than the original. This is after a day's wear that it's shedding this bad so I strongly suggest a sealant or the loss of glitter will start removing the defined lines from the stripes. The first time that I did the project, I cut the collar a little too narrowly so I had to go back and widen it so that it would hang off the shoulder. The one-shouldered part of this sweater really makes a world of difference and it looked much better after I did that. Instead of using studs to close the seams like the original sweatshirt, I used red buttons. I cut off the cuff of the sleeves and rolled the arms up a little larger than the original project dictated although I might change that later, then I added a button to the top and bottom of each rolled-up cuff. The first day that I did the project didn't give me the end result that I wanted, so I gave it a little time and went back later, thickening the stripes on each layer of the heart and reinforcing the glitter so that the entire shape wasn't lost once the glitter began to shed. That made it much better and more prominent than when I initially finished, and now I'm quite pleased with it. It was extremely comfortable, it wears well either bare-shouldered or with a thin-strapped tank underneath, and keeping the original hem (I was going to cut it so it'd have a looser fit) kept me warm and looked better with my jeans than the way I was going to do it. My biggest complaint was that the glitter shed constantly. I'm going to have to go back and redo it at some point if I don't get a sealant.

Grade: C
I gave myself a C for this project, mainly because my heart didn't turn out the way it was supposed to and I had to make so many edits in order to be satisfied with it. The glitter didn't stay on too well until I sprayed some hairspray over it, but it would have stayed much better if I'd had a sealant specifically for that kind of stuff. It still shed glitter even after the hairspray got a lot of it to set, so when I wore it I left a trail of sparkles everywhere I went. lol

I recorded a video and wrote out the steps, but I didn't want to seem as if I was plagiarizing or anything, so I didn't upload it. Let me know if you'd prefer that I do that instead of just posting pictures of the end result in these next few projects to come.

And with that, the first month of the Pinterest Project comes to a close. I was really excited to do the project and while the coats of glitter were drying it looked like it was going to be the bomb dot com, the end result was definitely not what I'd expected. I was pretty disappointed in it at first, actually. lol I felt a little bit like a failure, since I'd picked this project due to its difficulty level and it still didn't turn out right at first. After I made my edits to the finished product, I was happier with it but meh. I still wish it had turned out a little better when I first did it.

Here's hoping I do better with next month's project! lol 
post signature

*On another note, I haven't been doing my job with the Instagram Photo Challenge, so I'll be starting fresh in February. I gave up on January on Day 6. LOL I'll be making a post about that in a couple of days, but I am going to resume my challenge starting in February.  

No comments:

Post a Comment