Monday, March 17, 2014

Subscription Box Series Month 3: Love with Food


For the third month of this series, I wanted to go with a different kind of box. I've only tried beauty boxes for as long as I've been ordering them, and it was only a few months ago that I found out just how little I'd scratched the surface on the world of subscription boxes. I've been checking out some other boxes for awhile, and I decided to go with Love with Food for March. 



I've gotten a few culinary goodies in previous boxes, all from Birchbox I believe, so I wanted to try something that was completely food-related. I also chose this box because each box purchase equals a donation of meals to various food banks like Share Our Strength and Feeding America Network. So not only do you get a box for a great price, you also donate to help put an end to child hunger. I think this resonated with me a little more because although I was definitely not a starved child growing up, I did grow up a little faster than I should have due to certain circumstances and had more than a few nights where I wondered where our next meal would come from. So it's cool to be in a position now where even though I don't have a lot to give, I'm still giving something to help at least one child from wondering the same thing. But anywhoodle, let's get to the box.




I ordered this box back on the 27th but wasn't billed for it until the 1st, and when my order was complete the website informed me of both the billing and shipment date, which was the 10th. I received the box three days later, when my postwoman unceremoniously dumped the box at my porch and dipped. Not in my mailbox, but on the porch. Wtf. LOL Despite that though, everything arrived in good shape. Nothing was broken, bent or torn. I'd never tried half of these things before so I was pretty excited to get to them. Here's what I got:



1. Wai Lana Cassava Chips in Sea Salt and Vinegar, $19.99 for 12 1oz. bags 
I'm not a fan of salt and vinegar potato chips so I wasn't really looking forward to trying these, but they reminded me of Lay's Air Pops so I gave them a go. I first tried these when I was sick and my tastebuds were incredibly sensitive so the intensity of the vinegar nearly made me jump out of my window lol, but after I got a little better I tried them again and they weren't so bad. The flavor strength seems to increase with the more chips you eat; the flavor's pretty mute if you only have a couple. The cassava was a nice texture too; I think I actually prefer it to potato chips. The bag is sturdier than regular chip bags and even though there was a decent amount of air in the bag, you still get a decent amount of chips. 

2. Walkers Shortbread Fingers Twin Pack, $24.99 for 24 twin packs
These are some great cookies. They taste like shortbread but they're not heavy on butter or sugar; they're light but solid and still pretty tasty. This package has two fingers in it and I really liked them. I love shortbread cookies; they're filling and I don't feel the need to have 17 of them in one sitting. They're also not as sweet as chocolate chip or one of my latest cookie obsessions, brownie-filled chocolate chip. These cookies were light on the palate, were a suitable snack, and tasted great. No complaints. 

3. Taylors of Harrogate Earl Grey Tea, $14.99 for 30 sachets
I was down for the count last week with another case of the sicks but I kid you not, I'd had some tea earlier in the same day that I'd received my box and it ended up knocking out the rest of the sore throat I'd been dealing with all week. I didn't get to drink it while it would have actually done me some good. lol I'll update this when I've tried it. 

4. Chimes Ginger Chews, $10.99 for 50 chews
I don't care for ginger. So much like the chips, I wasn't looking to try these either. Maybe it's because I don't like ginger, but I honestly hated these things. There was a powdery coating on the outside and it's very chewy and soft. I just didn't like the taste. If you like gingerbread though, these chews would be great for you. They have a little heat, a little spiciness, and there's an undertone of sweet. I think if I liked ginger, I'd have been fine with these chews. But I don't, so I wasn't. 

5. Pierrot Gourmand Lollipop in Milky Apricot, $12.99 for 20 pops in assorted flavors
I'm not a super huge fan of apricot, but I kind of liked this lollipop. The sweetness of the apricot combined with the smoothness of the milk put me in the mind of a sherbet, like the orange Push Pops that were around when I was a kid. It had to grow on me, but I liked it. It wasn't overwhelmingly sweet and thankfully didn't taste like milk. I shudder to think of a milk-flavored lollipop. LOL 

6. Desert Gardens Taco & Burrito Seasoning, $14.99 for 10 packages
This has to win the award for 'most random' item in any of the subscription boxes I have ever received. I've never received or heard of someone else receiving taco and burrito seasoning before, so when I saw this it tickled me to no end. So I'm easily amused. Sue me. Anyway, I tried this out with hamburger meat and I'm glad I read the directions because these aren't your regular 'sprinkle all over meat' seasonings; you have to combine the seasoning packet with 3oz. of water and let it sit for 3 minutes, then pour the mixture over your meat. The amount of liquid you end up with goes a long way; I'd suggest using this for larger amounts of meat. I was making quesadillas the night I used this and it gave the meat some good coloring and some good spice action, but it wasn't anything special. It had a subtle heat but wasn't too spicy or overwhelming so if you don't like your food too hot, this would be just fine for you and you won't have to add anything extra except maybe some salt. I prefer my stuff hot though and have had more flavoring with the spices I normally use, so would I buy this again? Nah. But it was good to try out. 

7. Vintage Italia Pasta Chips in Marinara, $4.49 for one bag, $36.79 for a case of 12
I really wasn't looking forward to trying these. My taste preferences aren't all that adventurous and that extends to potato chips. I thought these would be some overwhelming mess of tomato-flavored crackers so I was trying my hardest to delay trying these at all. I wanted a snack earlier though, so I bit the bullet and tried 'em out. And you know what, I like 'em. I wouldn't get one of the larger bags as they can be a little intense if you have a lot, the smaller bag for me was just fine. There was a good amount of air in the bag, but there was also a good amount of chips, so I didn't feel like I got robbed. The seasonings weren't overdone and the flavor was subtle yet still hit the mark. They were pretty good alongside a burger, too. lol They kind of remind me of the pizza flavored Pringles, minus all of the seasoning dust and greasiness. The style of chip they made these with was perfect for the seasonings; it puts me in the mind of the thin crust pizzas. I dug 'em. 

8. Emmy's Organics Chai Spice Macaroons, $19.99 for 10 packages of 3 macaroons apiece
I liked these a lot. These are made from raw ingredients and they're both vegan and gluten-free. If you're not familiar with those kinds of foods you'd assume that these would be tasteless but oh my goodness. Even though there are only 3 in the bag, I can't eat them all at once. They're still very sweet despite that and damn if they don't taste just like chai. Calling these chai bites would have been pretty accurate as I didn't get a macaroon flavor from them at all. The coconut is more of a filler ingredient as the cinnamon and chai flavors are more dominant. They're a bit greasy, but I loved them. I think they'll make for a better treat mid-day than say chips or my usual, chocolate. I believe I'm getting old; I'm actually looking for healthier snacks. Damn this maturity. 



Fave: Emmy's Organics Chai Spice Macaroons / Walkers Shortbread Fingers
These were tied for me because I thought the macaroons were friggin' amazing and I have every intention of buying more at a later date, and the same goes for the shortbread cookies. Both of these make for a very tasty snack that's healthy, portable and well-priced for the amount you receive.

Dud: Chimes Ginger Chews / Wai Lana Cassava Chips in Sea Salt & Vinegar
It has nothing to do with the candy itself. I just don't like ginger. It has nothing to do with the chips as well because I actually liked the cassava chips and how they tasted; but I don't like salt and vinegar seasonings. These are only duds due to personal preference, not because they weren't made well. 


Overall:
My experience with Love with Food was a good one. It takes about two weeks from the time of ordering to receive your box, everything comes in good shape, and you get your $10 worth in terms of the number of items you get per box. Signing up for, finding out about, and cancelling the subscription are all fairly easy, as is shopping for any of the items you received in your box. You get a product card with your box which is good for future reference or just keeping track, and there's also a few coupons at the bottom. I got a whole box of items and products I'd never heard of and enjoyed the majority, so the goal was met. It's an added bonus to know that this company and your contributions also help put an end to childhood hunger. No complaints with this box or service at all. 


Rating: 
My money was well spent on products of great quality and I wasn't robbed in quantity, either. Love with Food is Mandy approved!





post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment