Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Wet 'n Wild Silk Finish Lipstick



Wet 'n Wild recently came out with a new 'line,' so to speak, of beauty products all priced at 99 cents. WnW is a pretty affordable brand to begin with, but what I think makes this line a bit different from the others is that its more diverse in its offerings. There are nail polishes, lipsticks, eye pencils, single shadows, and even some false lashes. I've bought a few products from each category, but I thought I'd start this next batch of reviews with the product I've bought the most from that line, which would be the Silk Finish lipsticks. I've bought 4 from the Silk Finish line so far, and here's what I thought:





















--Blind Date is more of a sheer pink, which is good if you're after a light, everyday shade. One coat fits the bill for an understated lip, but for me personally, I'd go for two coats.

--Cherry Frost is the lipstick I wore for Christmas, and I love it. One thing I noticed about the lipsticks, this shade in particular, is that they don't photograph true to color. This red is actually more vivid than it shows in this photo. It also has some glitter in it, but it doesn't overpower the color itself unless you apply more than a couple of layers.















--Black Orchid and Dark Wine are extremely similar in color, but Black Orchid has more of a brown undertone to it than Dark Wine does. This is a very pigmented lipstick, and the brown pigment increases as you apply more layers. One thorough layer should be enough with this one.

--Dark Wine is just as intense as Black Orchid to me, but it looks a bit more brick than brown. It too has a bit of glitter in it and like the others, only needs one thorough coat to give your lips some color.


These photos are mostly unedited so they're mostly true to how they originally photographed; I just used the Punch filter to make the photos a little bit brighter.





Pros:


--Much smoother in application than the Megalast lipsticks
--Most of the colors allow for buildable layers
--There's a large array of shades in the line to choose from
--Slightly shiny finish, don't feel drying on the lips or give them a dry appearance
--A light application of the darker shades goes a long way
--The obvious, they're all only 99 cents
--A bit versatile with application options




Cons:

--Definitely not smudgeproof, they rub and smudge very easily
--Even though there are many shades, many of them are pretty similar
--The wall swatches are a bit different from the actual color of the lipstick as well as the color swatch on the bottom of the tube; it feels a little misleading
--The lack of being true to color extends to the photos; the colors tend to look a little dull
--The darker shades stain the lips a little bit upon removal
--The lipstick breaks in the tube or the twist-off cap also activates the twist-up of the wand, smudging the lipstick





My thoughts:

First things first. If you're expecting a Revlon or MAC-quality lipstick, then you'll be disappointed. It's not quite that high-end. Same goes if you're expecting a color that will last throughout meals or a workday without constant reapplication. If you want something that will last long enough to run errands or just want something for everyday, casual wear, then these fit the bill. They don't last terribly long without needing to reapply, but if you don't need it to stay on very long then you should be fine. I prefer the application and feel of these over the Megalast line, but as far as the intensity of the color, the Megalasts are still better.

My primary complaints would be the copious smudging and lack of staying power, but I think that's a complaint across the board for all of the Wet 'n Wild lipsticks that I have. Another complaint with most Wet 'n Wild lipsticks that I have is that the formula of the lipstick causes it to break very easily, even if you're not rough on your products. So it has the potential to get very messy, which is annoying for obvious reasons. The cap complaint is only significant because with the twist-off cap that these lipsticks seem to have, when you try to twist off the cap sometimes it'll twist up the tube as well, bringing more of the lipstick up and smudging the cap. But if you decide to just pull the cap off rather than twisting it, you risk scratching the lipstick, which has happened to me quite a few times. I think they should be just a little easier to remove so that you don't damage the lipstick or smudge the cap. When I ran across these at Walgreens, I noticed that some of the wall swatches were much lighter than the actual lipstick, which I didn't really understand. But don't go by the wall swatches or the color codes on the bottom; I didn't find them to be accurate.

I like all of the Silk Finish lipsticks that I have, and the fact that they're not as intense as the Megalasts allows for a bit more versatility. You can lightly dot it on if you're going for a light coloring, you can use it with a lipliner to enhance the color, or you can go all out and apply a couple of layers. I love that they're only 99 cents, and I think they live up to their name of having a silk finish. They're very smooth on the lips and don't leave your lips looking dry after you remove it. I like these lipsticks a lot.


Do I recommend this product? Yes


Where can you buy this product?
Dollar General, Walgreens, Walmart


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment