Friday, January 29, 2016

29 Things I've Learned in 29 Years



Hi! With my birthday less than 24 hours away, I thought I'd share some things that I've learned. I first saw this when Jenna Marbles did it for her 29th birthday a few months ago, but I've seen it a few more times from different bloggers since then. I couldn't immediately recall 29 lessons, but I thought it'd be fun to see if I could get through it. Some of these are deep, some of them are not. All of them probably sound cliche, but whatever. Anyway, here are 29 things that I've learned in 29 years. 


1. That saying "The largest obstacle in your way is you" is sometimes just a bunch of malarkey. 

2. You should always be your best friend first. 

3. Keep the pain and struggle of your life off of all social media, unless you're using it to inspire. 

4. Being so afraid of success that you fail to try at all is the exact same thing as failing. 

5. A quarter-life crisis is a real thing, and if it happens to you, it'll pass. 

6. Accept that where you're killin' it in an area, someone will always do it better. And there's nothing you can do about it. 

7. Your vision and plan for your life may (and probably will, in some form) differ from what you actually experience. 

8. It's a bit of a shock when you no longer know the current lingo. 

9. There will be a day when getting out of bed causes fireworks to explode in your body. 

10. Never seek validation from others that you're incapable of giving to yourself. 

11. When you learn to choose your battles, the amount of wisdom you gain every time you exercise that grows tenfold. 

12. Whether you like it or not, you do eventually end up sounding exactly like your parent(s).

13. It will always hurt you more than others to hang onto pain you were caused. Let it go.

14. It's extremely important to understand, appreciate and enjoy the value of alone time. 

15. You should never compromise who you are for someone else's benefit, whether that 'someone else' is a friend, a spouse or a relative.  

16. I now get excited about new household appliances. 

17. Your stomach changes and evolves as you do, and some of those things you loved to eat when you were younger may not agree with you later. 

18. Love, in any form where it is pure and honest, is beautiful. 

19. You can't run from yourself, no matter how hard you try. 

20. Your family may suck sometimes. Love them in spite of that, even if you have to do it from a distance on occasion. 

21. You're never too old to learn, and it's never too late to explore life. 

22. The nerd adage of "Those who bullied you at some point will work for you/nerds finish first" isn't always true, so don't bet money on it. 

23. Sometimes I DGAF. And I love it. 

24. Nobody will ever compare you to others as much as YOU compare yourself to others. Stop. 

25. Your personality is ever-evolving, and it's important not to unintentionally put yourself in a box.

26. At some point, you'll have to confront all that ugly adult shit nobody warns you about ahead of time: the 401k, health and dental insurance, a living will, all of the adult things. They're important, and they're necessary. Get that shit done early.

27. The cartoons you grew up watching take on an entirely different meaning as an adult. 

28. I grossly underestimated the beauty of a bomb ass nap. 

29. Finally, I learned that the number 30 follows 29, always has and always will. And that scares the shit out of me.



So those are some of the nuggets of wisdom I've picked up throughout my life. There are tons more, but most of those have been the most beneficial for me. What are some of the more important lessons you've learned? See you soon!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment