Saturday, March 31, 2018

What I've Been Watching: March



Hi! This month's list is going to be blissfully short. I'll be making up for it in the WIBR though, so don't count your blessings just yet. lol If you read my Where I've Been post, you'll understand why this list is abnormally short. If you didn't, I was in bed sick for the majority of March so I didn't have the head to watch a bunch of tv unless it was for background noise or things I wanted to watch again. When I was coherent enough to do anything, I was working on the new design for ATV--which is finished now so go check it out!--and when I wasn't I was in bed, wondering about the emotional and physical trauma I'd endure if I ripped my skin off and tore out my teeth and jaw. I have to admit, I was sorely (no pun intended but its still relevant) tempted but I think the worst of it is over so here I am. Did I just come back to the blog? Lol whatever. Anyway, here's this month's list. 






All Jokes Aside: Black Women in Comedy


When Calls the Heart







One of the main reasons I switched my satellite service from Dish to DirecTV was so I could get the block of Black channels in my lineup. One of those channels used to be called Centric, but has turned into BETHer and is full of content geared at Black women. They've stepped their game up since the shift, and that introduced me to the mini-doc All Jokes Aside, which was originally on VH1. In it, various Black comediennes were able to share bits of their stories. They were able to tell the difficulties of being a Black comedienne, both in comparison to other comics and other Black comics, and the various struggles they face when trying to have their voices heard. Comedy has long been a staple of minority communities, I think partially because it helps us to cope with sometimes disproportionately negative situations. But Black women, like many other WOC, have a tougher road ahead of them on all fronts. This was a short but interesting look into what it's like, the mentality they have to adapt, and the obstacles they have to face both in and out of the comedy scene. I wouldn't mind this becoming a mini-series where different comediennes around the country are featured because I'd love to see more perspectives. 


When Calls the Heart is a show I've been watching for a minute now but 1-didn't want to admit it and 2-hadn't been watching for long enough to talk about. Now that the current season is well underway and I know I won't be going anywhere, I figure I'll put it up now and get it out of the way. lol If you aren't familiar with When Calls the Heart, it's a Hallmark Original drama about life in a small town around the turn of the 19th century. The best way I can describe it is Little House on the Prairie for this generation. It's not quite as impactful as Little House, but it has a lot of the same elements. It's a bit campy and cheesy and that's why I didn't want to admit I watched it lol, but if I'm being honest I enjoy the show. It takes me back to a much simpler time, where love, family, community and the power of good hearts can overpower anything and I can appreciate that. 


Moving on over to the 'Flix, before my nerve had its way with me earlier in the month I watched this mini-series called Strippers, which was about strip joints in different areas of Scotland. Each episode featured a different club and a handful of the women working there, and I wish there'd been more episodes to the series because I found it interesting. Some of the women love their jobs while others hope to transition into something different, some fell into the profession when they were unable to find work in other places and some feel like they're where they're supposed to be. It only has three episodes, but I really enjoyed them. This is another series I wouldn't mind seeing more of, with different countries or sectors being explored so we can see the differences in environments and attitudes.


My other pick for Netflix is Age Gap Love, which is a UK-based series focusing on couples with significant age gaps. I find topics like that kind of interesting because while I was watching it, I realized I was both more and not as open-minded as I'd initially assumed. I know that sounds like a contradiction so I'll explain. I didn't think I had a massive issue with age, I have my limits but overall I'm not tossing up roadblocks over people who date outside of their age ranges. Or, I wasn't, until one of my siblings started dating someone in my age range last year and I realized that I did indeed have a problem with it. As these couples started to go into detail about the looks, judgment and general attitude about their relationship from others, both strangers and loved ones, I started to get angry until it dawned on me that last year, I was one of those people. I'm a live and let live kind of person when it comes to finding love and I'm much more appreciative of non-traditional situations now than I used to be, but what I liked the most about this program was that it forced me to confront the contradiction of my ideals vs the day-to-day reality of how I felt about the situation. In theory, I don't care much about age. Love is love and it can see past one's age. In reality, I care more than I thought and Age Gap Love made me face that. Now that I've been on both sides of the fence, it gives me a more well-rounded perspective than I had and I needed that. It's worth a watch.


Moving on to the 'Tube, my last two entries are in the same genre, so I'm combining them. Last month I mentioned Sorrow TV, and this month I've been watching a lot of Slazo and SoothouseTV. Both of these channels are also Reddit/social-media focused and the various threads they go through are hilarious. Many of the typical threads tend to have overlapping entries but there's something distinctive about each channel when they're reading through them so I'll forgive it. lol Not too much to say here; I like the Reddit YouTube channels and now that they're becoming the 'in' type of content to make I suspect I'll be seeing a lot more of it in the months to come. 


Pick of the Month: Age Gap Love


Extras: Uncensored

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment