Thursday, March 15, 2018

Where I've Been


I haven't had to make one of these in awhile, but when I realized we were already halfway through March I figured I should hop on really quickly and explain why I didn't come back after BHS was over like I said I would. It's quite simple; I've been under the weather. My mini-me had a cold after her birthday back on February 7th and decided to spread the love to her parents, sister and myself, and that reared its head the day before Valentine's. As I've mentioned a few times over the years, my immune system is shit so I went down for awhile before getting better. Two weeks later though, it was back, just as BHS was coming to a close--in retrospect, I'm so glad I pre-planned the series this year. Anyway, when it came back this time it was a chest cold and sinus infection. I fought off the majority of the chest cold, but as the sinus infection started to go away the pressure kicked in. I have stress-induced TMJD, which causes me to clench my teeth, mostly unconsciously, and it can cause my jaw to lock. 

I said that to say that when the sinus pressure kicked in, it triggered my trigeminal nerve, and the pain caused my face to tense up which locked my jaw and caused a trigeminal neuralgia episode. Basically what that means is the trigeminal nerve, the main nerve line in your face that is in charge of all sensations you feel in that area, completely loses its shit. The nerve pain is a series of shooting, stabbing and/or burning pain on one side of the face, which often spreads into the maxillary sinus, down into the jaw and teeth, and up into your temples, triggering migraines. You can't talk, can't chew, have to drink very carefully, can barely breathe through your mouth, the pain can be devastating. I'm already prone to sinus migraines and because I still have the sinus infection, all of this has caused a wonderful snowball effect in my body, all of which amount to more pain. I also have year-round allergies, so spring has always been a lovely time of year for me. Because the sinus infection is still there and now I have hay fever to contend with, I have days when I'm sneezing and blowing my nose all day, and others when my nose is so dry it hurts to breathe through it. Most days though the nerve pain has been more severe, leaving me curled up in the fetal with a rice sock on my face praying for a swift death. In a sentence, life has been positively splendid for me. If you've never had the nerves seize up in your face, please thank the heavens for it. I don't have a word for the amount of pain I've been in and excruciating doesn't quite seem to cover it. I've mostly been in bed for the past 10 days, either waiting for medicine to kick in or refraining from knocking myself out to get away from the pain. I've been to urgent care, had a doctor's appointment, am seeing an ENT on Monday and going back to my regular doctor next Friday. I explained all of that to say I'm not sure when this episode will be over--was kinda expecting it to be over by now--, so I can't say right now when I'll be back. I've barely been able to concentrate most days, so I haven't been catching up on the posts I was supposed to put out.

February's WIBW went up a couple of days late, on one of the better days, but I haven't been able to finish the What I Read This Month just yet. The Spring Cleaning series was supposed to go up this week with it being spring break in my neck of the woods, but that's being pushed to next month. There's a series I was getting ready to start based off of self-care, and that too is being pushed off until I'm feeling better. February's calendar is still up on the site for the same reason. I can't seem to fully shake the cold turned sinus infection and this nerve pain isn't going anywhere yet, so whenever I can get my body back together I'll be back. I just wanted to hop on and explain what was going on before I was in too much pain again. I hope to be back soon; I've already missed two weeks and pain/illness aside, I'm so restless I wish I could just hop into another body until my nerve's done having temper tantrums so I can get shit done. LOL Anyway, I hope all is well on your side of the fence, I hope you're in substantially less pain than I, and I'll see you soon!


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment