Tuesday, March 8, 2016

No Rest for the Wicked



Hi! I mentioned last week that the author of this book, Dane Cobain, contacted me early last month to ask if I'd like a copy of No Rest in exchange for a review. I've been heavy into smut books lately because I'm that kind of gal, so I was looking forward to a change in reading material. This definitely fit the bill. 



What's the book about?

A disillusioned priest joins forces with a young businessman to try and figure out the source behind a string of mysterious murders going on in their community. The Angels are a dangerous group of supernatural beings who exact their form of vengeance on those whom they feel have committed crimes too heinous to be forgiven. As the murders continue, the priest and his new cohort have to not only figure out exactly who their new threat is, but try to stop them before they kill again. Secrets are revealed, the truth comes out and nobody is safe.  



What I liked:

--I really enjoyed the concept of the book. Throwing a priest with secrets of his own into the mix really drives home the irony of having the villains in this story be a group of beings who call themselves Angels. My absolute favorite thing about the book was the concept of the Angels themselves. I thoroughly enjoyed the sinister take on the angel concept and the exploration of  'divine punishment' as it related to the people they targeted.  

--I liked reading the progression of the plot from the various viewpoints that were presented. Usually, differing viewpoints throughout a story bug me a little bit as continuity ends up becoming a problem and I can't get behind any one character, but I didn't feel like that with this book. I believe that it was the way that it was written that allowed me to enjoy it as much as I did. Each viewpoint contributes a piece to the puzzle that is the plot, and just as a puzzle is put together one piece at a time, this story came together, piece by piece, by each character's experiences. It was kind of a "All Roads Lead To ___" sort of thing in terms of how it was written, and I enjoyed that a lot. 

--I loved that the priest had his own demons to work through, his own disillusionment and fear to contend with. Many times, religious figures in books are depicted as fearless due to belief and unable to be  because of their faith. Father Montgomery was neither fearless nor untouchable, hidden behind an invisible wall of ceaseless faith and confidence. He was just as afraid as his congregation, just as confused as they were despite his vocation, was even discouraged at the start of the book and I think those things (as well as his own secrets) helped flesh him out for me. 

--I enjoyed the writing style. Everything flowed together very well, 

--This is a smaller note, but I loved the names of the chapters. For me, they further drove home the religious paradox that the book presents. 



What I didn't like:

--I wish we'd had a little more backstory on some of the characters. Not a major complaint at all and not even vital to my enjoyment of the book, but some of the character histories would have been nice to read.

--At times, the changing viewpoints caused transitions to be a little choppy for me.

Overall:

Overall, this was a great read for me and I can't say I have too many major complaints. I loved that, rather than being about a specific character going through something, this was more about the feelings and thoughts surrounding an ordeal that affected many people. There was the added bonus of being able to see the story unfold through a number of those eyes, from each angle vital to the progression of the plot. It isn't a story with a lot of emotional character development; the focus here is the effect of the Angels, and the people they choose to exterminate. 

For someone who grew up in a religious household like myself, the obvious religious conflict was a real treat to explore. How does one reconcile the typical idea of an angel with these villainous beings? In a more secular view, how many people do we meet who claim to be someone good but do these awful things, supposedly for a reason that is good, but is really for their own selfish gain? I think it helped me to understand how the idea of divine retribution or punishment may look to those who have no religious alignment, something I'd never considered in quite that light before. Angels who consume the sins of mortals for sustenance is such an intriguing concept to me and this book explored that in a way that didn't make it sound campy; it came off as a supernatural apocalypse of sorts to me and I liked that a lot. 

If you don't often read supernatural horror and don't do gore very well, then No Rest for the Wicked is not for you. The content is quite graphic and there's more than a little of folks emptying the contents of their stomachs. lol I don't typically do gore because I'm not about that life (I've got a weak stomach LOL), but the scenes with it thankfully don't last too long. 

If you're into supernatural books with a religious base, something that sounds like a feasible fate if you're into religion and the concept of punishment from a higher power--or other sources--then check out No Rest for the Wicked. It has a few twists and turns that increase the impact of the climax, is brought to life through a writing style that is simple but flows well, and you won't want to put it down.



Where can you get a copy?

Amazon ($2.99) | 



Contact the author here!




I hope you enjoyed this review; many thanks to Dane for allowing me to read and review his book. While we're on the subject of books, I haven't forgotten about the RRNT Reading Challenge; I already have my first few entries. Have you started your reading challenge for the year yet? Update me on your progress and I'll see you soon!


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment