Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Spring Inspiration



Hi! I'm sorry I didn't get to do a fall or winter related inspiration post; even though I'd been planning for them (both of them are actually almost finished), I wasn't able to get them completed to my satisfaction in enough time. I was determined to get one up for spring though, and here it be! So what inspires me for spring? If I had to sum it up, I'd probably say all the florals, pastels and green veggies. lol I like to engage all of the senses when finding inspiration for a season, so this one's probably going to be lengthy. Find a comfy seat, grab a snack and enjoy!





--Pastels and one vivid color (this year it's orange); flirty, feminine pieces and fashions; shorter, piecey hairstyles with pastel highlights or accents




Polish colors (from l to r):

Sinful Colors Polishes in Easy Going, Skylark, Island Coral, Firefly, Cinderella, Tempest, Mint Apple, Lavender; Wet 'n Wild Wildshine in Nuclear War


My color palette is heavily influenced by flowers and Easter colors; I prefer pastel versions of the deeper colors I enjoyed during the fall and winter. I chose these polishes because they were all lighter colors, but it's not hard to build up layers of any of the polishes. They don't clump as easily as some of the other brands and they intensify with more layers, which is a good thing as a couple of these look more sheer on the nail than they do in the bottle. They don't last terribly long without chipping though, so make sure you've got a great topcoat. 






1Rose Flower Crown, Forever 21 ($5.90)
2I'm Bayside Myself Dress, ModCloth ($59.99)
3. MINKPINK Tangerine Dream Floral Top ($68) and Shorts, NastyGal ($69)
4. Lacy Floral Cami Mini Dress, Forever 21 ($17.90)
5. Converse All Star Fringe Sneakers, Urban Outfitters ($100) / Tan Tall Gladiator Sandals, LuLu's ($30)
6. Dollhouse Distressed Cropped Jeans, Charlotte Russe ($25) / High Riser Skinny Jeans, Madewell ($125)
7. Multicolor Floral Tassel Longline Kimono, Choies ($23.90)
8. Stripe for the Picking Ribbed Top, NastyGal ($38)
9. Aglow with Gusto Dress, ModCloth ($69.99)



(*Don't mind most of these prices; I can't afford anything on this list except for #1. LOL This is purely for inspiration*)

That color palette extends to the clothes I feel more drawn to for spring, which are lighter, brighter and more fun than the clothes I gravitate to during fall and winter. I think shades of coral and orange look so pretty during the spring, and this is one of the only times that I'm willing to wear white jeans. I have a bad record with white jeans, one which I may or may not detail in a later post, I'm clumsy and rather messy so light-colored jeans, especially white ones, aren't really the best ones for my life. But they're so pretty!



With spring being festival season, of course I have to put a crown somewhere on this list but truth be told, I'll wear a floral crown regardless of the month. I'll just change the colors of the flowers I use. lol I also like stripes and lighter floral-printed clothes for this time of year. I've been getting into rompers and playsuits as well; I really like the loose, boho feel that both of these outfits have. I've been seeing a lot of off-the-shoulder and cutout style clothing for this time of year and I'm into all of it. I also like extending the 'pop of color' concept to shoes rather than just accessories 









1. Style Inspo 1
2. Style Inspo 2 (you'll have to scroll through the photos to find it)
3Flower Crown Braid (a combination of two of my favorites!)
4Pastel Ombre--Color Inspiration
5. Dutch Braid Pigtails

Extra: Dark Pastel Hair Inspiration





I've been wanting to switch things up with my hair lately, and I've gotten my heart set on the blunt-cut, shoulder-length styles that are in the first two photos. It's much different from the longer styles I've gravitated to for the past few years, and I'm excited to try something new. I'd like the ombre to blend like the second photo, which is why I included it, but I'd prefer the color to be like the third picture. I worry sometimes about looking a fool because with hair, especially extensions, the line between 'trendy' and 'hoodrat' is a thin one for a Black gal, but oh well. If I like it and it looks nice on me, I'm going for it. 


I also love milkmaid braids, loose, tousled waves and as of late, Dutch braids for this time of year, the last of which is tempting me to keep my hair long. Accessories like small floral headbands, leather strips intertwined in braids, and both small and large floral crowns are my go-tos because they give me boho, free spirited vibes. They're also kinda messy, and I've been into that lately too. I was trying to find more pictures that inspired me for spring and realized I kept coming back to braids in some fashion, so that's why I just left this collage at the two photos I chose. 













--Indie pop, ambient and light electronic



When we're in the midst of cuffing season, for some reason I gravitate toward darker instrumentals and more calming beats. Once spring hits though I want happier, lighter tunes to keep me company. I wouldn't say there are any 'spring' themed songs for me, but there are many songs that put me in the lighter, happier frame of mind that I usually associate with the season. Playlists aren't my forte anymore (although I used to be a beast with them back in the day lol), so I checked out Spotify and Soundcloud for some good tunes.

If you're into shorter playlists, here's this Indie Spring playlist. Most of it is indie pop and a couple of lighter electronic songs.



If you want a longer playlist with more options to scroll through, check out the Indie Spring 2016 playlist. It'd be a stroke of ambition to try and get through the whole thing; it's over 1000 songs long. But you're sure to find something you like if indie pop, electronic and ambient music is your thing.









--Light, floral, clean, citrusy scents


1. Glade 2-in-1 Candle in Sunny Days/Clean Linen
2. Bath and Body Works 3-Wick Candle in Lilac Blossom
3. Bath and Body Works 3-Wick Candle in Amsterdam-Spring Tulips
4. Bath and Body Works 3-Wick Candle in White Gardenia
5. Bath and Body Works 3-Wick Candle in Honeysuckle
6. Glade 2-in-1 Candle in Jubilant Rose/Lavender and Peach Blossom
7. Bath and Body Works 3-Wick Candle in Turquoise Waters
8. Bath and Body Works 3-Wick Candle in New York-Beautiful Day
9. Bath and Body Works 3-Wick Candle in Pure White Cotton

Extras: Glade Air Sprays in Blue Odyssey, Red Honeysuckle Nectar, or Blossoming Peony and Cherry



For spring, I like light, crisp scents. During the colder months, I prefer either calming or heavier, muskier scents but once the weather warms back up, I like to switch it up. I mostly prefer lighter floral, clean scents for spring, but I don't mind secondary sweet or fruity scents, as long as they're done right. I went with candles rather than sprays because their scent notes are much stronger, spread out to further distances, and last much longer than the regular sprays. The sprays are cheaper, though, which is why I included the three I prefer underneath the candles. lol 











--Colorful displays and touches throughout the home-- I like watercolor-colored decorations, creative pops of color in otherwise plain places and floral/nature-inspired decor





Spring, despite being hell on my respiratory system (I have the stereotypically nerdy distinction of being afflicted with allergies, sinus issues AND asthma), is a beautiful time of year and I like that to reflect in small places in my environment. Despite the fact that my spring color palette is heavily influenced by Easter, I didn't really include anything related to the holiday in these projects. I really like the colors associated with the day though, especially with white, because they pop and bring life into your space.


The majority of these links here go to the actual tutorials, but the visual of the pillows is just inspiration because there wasn't a link on Martha Stewart's website to make them, so a tutorial for basic no-sew pillowcases is linked above. Just figured I'd slip that in there so it wouldn't be misleading. Some of these, like the floral arrangement or floral letters, can easily be recreated with silk flowers from your local craft or dollar store. Some of the other photos, like the colorful wall art, are more of an inspiration/starting point rather than a step-by-step instructional. If you have plain or light-colored walls, the colorful wall art would be a good way to bring color into your space in a minimal way without having to change anything else. 


If these aren't your thing and you'd like something different, I'd start by creating a color palette that speaks to you for the season, then simply changing some of the decor in your home or bedroom to suit those colors. Bedding and wall art for me are the first things I think about changing, then I'd go from there with other smaller decor elements and accessories around the home. I think spring is a great time to reintroduce greenery around the home, whether it's fresh or fake. Green spruces (ha. See what I did there?) up the home, especially if the surroundings are white. I like clean, simple decor for spring, but with lively pops of color in visible places. 











--Fresh fruits and vegetables, lighter dishes and picnic-friendly finger foods, cold pasta salads



After the permanent food coma that is winter and the holiday season, I appreciate returning to foods that aren't quite as heavy or rich. I like going on picnics and eating outdoors during the warmer months, so I like foods that are portable, don't spoil easily, and are lighter on my stomach.



For spring, I like foods and drinks that use fresh and light ingredients. I love the burst of colors in food, the crisp tastes that most veggies provide to a dish, and how light many of these foods are on the palate. I'm not super crazy about fruit in general, but I always enjoy them more during the spring. I find myself really excited for jams, breads, sandwiches and the like. One of my ideal spring mornings would be taking a small breakfast, a homemade baguette and jam to a park with me, which I'm aware sounds corny but my field of f*cks to give about it is barren soo.... that's that. lol





By this time, you can tell that 'light' holds a lot of weight for me when it comes to my spring inspiration. (See what I did there? Oh, that was only funny to me?) If you're struggling to come up with a seasonal inspiration list, I hope this helped a little bit and if you actually got all the way through it, you have my sincerest thanks. There are entire fanfiction sagas that are still shorter than this post. LOL I'm assuming, of course. I don't read fanfiction, so I wouldn't know that for sure. *looks away*  See you soon!


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment