Monday, December 19, 2016

Winter Wonderland


Hi! I really can't believe winter is upon us already. It seems like just yesterday I was telling you in either the spring or summer inspiration posts that I couldn't wait for the colder weather but would probably complain once I got it (which has been the entire truth, I've been complaining since it got cold and will probably do so until the mornings aren't cold anymore and once we hit hell temperatures again, the cycle will repeat LOL), and here we are, with 11 days left in the year. With that being said, here is my sensory inspiration for winter. Some of the things I included on here may not be quite as relevant since Christmas is this weekend and I can't see you still having a Christmas-themed centerpiece on your tables in February lol, but the colors and accessories are still trademarks of the season to me. 












Beauty: Dramatic liner, smokey/glittery eyes, false lashes, red lips


Winter is when you can roll out all of the sparkly, smokey makeup looks that your face can stand and get away with it. It's the one time of year that the heat here lets up enough to do heavier, more glamorous makeup looks without product sliding off your face, so I like to take advantage of that when the opportunity presents itself. My skin lightens (and dries) significantly during the colder months, partially due to the decreased time in the sun, so it's important that the face products I use give me some color and vitality. On the days when I'm not wearing makeup though, the most important things to me are moisture, moisture and more moisture.



Fashion: loungewear and large, slouchy clothing, large knit beanies, turtlenecks, sparkly tops and dresses, velvet



Because my main goal (other than keeping warm) is to be comfortable, I've really been digging the stylish sloth look. lol What I mean by that is that per usual, comfort is a necessity. But rather than looking like a sloth with the bunchy, baggy sweats, bag lady sweatshirts and loose-fitting shirts all at the same time, I'd like to combine style with the sloth. On the flip side, I also love the sparkly, glittery fashions for the holidays. I'm not big on velvet, but for the holidays it seems appropriate. New Year's is one of my favorite holidays, and for me, it's also when the countdown to my birthday starts. lol



Hair: long, dark and bouncy hair/moisturized protective styles


For hair, I usually go back to wanting dark, long and bouncy styles. I like how my hair and skintone mix with black hair anyway, but during the winter months, I think the darker tones definitely suit me better. Because I'm so pale during winter, lighter hair washes me out something serious. I also like metallic accessories for the holidays, which really pop against black hair. Yes, the reasons are rather superficial but we're talking about hair. Let me live. lol I also like large flowers, glitter and/or stars, like in this collage, as hair accessories. I try to do the most on New Year's. As for my natural locks, moisture is also the name of the game. Winter wrecks havoc on already dry hair, so I just try to keep it moisturized and out of the way.



Headspace: coziness, warmth, safety, solitude, inspiration



 As I'm going to get into a little more detail about at the end of the post, winter isn't necessarily the best time of year for me. I have seasonal affective disorder and a compromised immune system, among other things, and as a result I usually have to stay away from large public places while flu season is at its peak. As you can imagine, this does wonders for triggering my agoraphobia lol. Having to isolate myself during this time of year gets amplified by my seasonal depression, so I've tried to counter that by making my hibernation a haven of sorts. I try to make the best of it by creating a cocoon for myself where I can be comfortable, cozy and relaxed. But on the flip side, because I'm so limited during the winter, I can often get a ton of work done. My goal is to come into the year with as clean a slate as possible and inspiration for the next 12 months, which my hibernating helps with immensely. My execution of said inspiration doesn't always work out, but if my largest problem is that I don't have enough time to carry out all of my ideas rather than not having any, I can deal with that. If you'd like to see more about where I got my visual inspo from, here's this season's nod to Tumblr. I also used the tags bed fort, solitude and holidays on there so if you'd rather look there rather than at things specific to Christmas, knock yourself out.








--Christmas music, calming and ambient music



(I apologize for the playlists being on top of each other rather than side by side. They're side by side on my end in the editor, but for you they're loading on top of each other. I can't get the code right, so now they look wonk. I's sorry.)




This is an unpopular opinion, but I'm not a big fan of Christmas music. There are probably three Christmas songs I like, my favorite of the bunch being a classic. Nat King Cole's "The Christmas Song" (or Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire, which is probably the title most people, myself included, are familiar with) is my all-time favorite Christmas song. Another unpopular opinion, and this one is definitely unpopular, is that I hate "All I Want for Christmas is You." I don't know how this became the holiday anthem, but I wasn't on the committee that made the decision because I definitely don't approve. I love a lot of Mariah Carey's music, but if all copies of this song were suddenly destroyed, I wouldn't lose any sleep. lol I know that I sound like a complete grumpy ass about it, but I think I've heard the song too much. One song I do like, however, is this cheesy 80s song "This Christmas," by Wham! because it's hilarious, it's not exactly a cheer-inducing song, but my local radio stations wear it out anyway. As a result, I love the irony.

Despite my attitude towards Christmas music, however, it's usually all I listen to for Christmas Eve and Day. It helps me get and stay in the mood and for those couple of days, I'm here for it. I just can't listen to it on November 10th, which is usually when my local radio stations blackout everything except Christmas music. I also can't listen to it after December 26th, because then it's no longer Christmas. lol Boxing Day marks the return to secular tunes, which are pretty much in the same vein as the ones I like for fall.







--briskets, roasts and stews, tamales, menudo, popcorn, barks and brittles, spiced nuts, fancy sweet treats, cocoa, egg nog




Sources:
 1. Slow-Cooked BBQ Brisket, Simply Scratch (the recipe used here is an amended version of Chowhound's)



This may be my least favorite season, but one of my absolute favorite things about it is the food and obviously, my favorite tool for cooking during this time of year is the slow cooker. My relationship with food started during the winter of an extremely rough year of my life, and I found that I could escape from the world and channel my emotions into the food I was making. While my family was out in the cold during winter, I was stuck at home, and cooking gave me an opportunity to welcome them home with something warm and comforting. As I got better at it and eventually discovered that this was a legitimate passion of mine rather than just a hobby, I found so many other events and times in which food is the unacknowledged glue holding everything together.

That's never more true than during the winter, at least in my family. Thanksgiving is the last time of any normalcy for awhile; there are two birthdays the week before Christmas, then Christmas, another birthday, New Year's, and my own birthday is a month after that. The family comes together most often during the winter, so there's a lot of cooking being done, which I use as an opportunity to test out recipes and spend some time with family. I show my feelings and love through the food I make, and I've yet to find another activity that gives me the fulfillment and satisfaction that cooking a meal provides.

When I cook for others, especially during the winter, my main goals are to comfort, warm and nourish. I know that sounds cheesy (that pun was unintentional), but those goals answer the mother hen clucking somewhere inside of me. Winter brings thick, rich foods to mind that stick to the ribs and warm the body, like roasts, stews and rich, slow-cooked meats. The slow cooker is your best friend during the colder months. It's low-maintenance, fills your home with incomparable and welcoming aromas and allows the flavors of your food to intensify as they spend hours bubbling and marinating together.

Many of the spices from fall carry over to winter, where they're used to provide fuller, more hearty flavors to an array of dishes. This is also the time of year when you're supposed to eat your body weight in delicious, season-exclusive treats you won't be able to get for another year. The fancy cakes, the rich pies, the new desserts you've never had before, those are treats I love during winter.







--heavier scent notes overall--woods and oaks, musks, fresh trees, spices (but in combination with sweet, tamer notes), vanilla and peppermint


All candles shown here are from the 3-wick candles from Bath & Body Works.


Fresh Balsam--fresh balsam, eucalyptus, fir branches, cedarwood
Tis the Season--red delicious apple, sweet cinnamon, cedarwood
Winter--white woods, pine needles, clementine, spiced cloves
Twisted Peppermint--peppermint, sugared snow, vanilla buttercream, fresh balsam, hint of musk
Creamy Nutmeg--nutmeg, cinnamon stick, sugared almonds, vanilla
Vanilla Bean Noel--vanilla bean, caramel, whipped cream, snow-kissed musk, sugar cookies
Mahogany Teakwood--mahogany, black teakwood, dark oak, frosted lavender
Sparkling Woods--amberwood, pear, bergamot, patchouli
Vanilla Snowflake--vanilla, iced fir, wintry mint, coconut flakes


It's usually too hot here for me to indulge in heavy scents for most of the year because it makes the air a bit stuffy, but winter is the perfect time to roll out woodsy and musky scents so I'm here for all of it. The crispness of the air really seems to mix well with these heavier notes, which I enjoy. They create a bit of warmth and a cozier atmosphere that I crave for this time of year.

If you'd like to go natural for your deodorizers, you can take some regular unscented potpourri and bake them on a regular baking sheet for a few minutes with some cinnamon, cloves and orange. The scent comes out while they're baking, but placing them in small sachets around the house will ensure the scent sticks around. I boil my potpourri in a pot of water, and this also fills the room with scent. Some sites recommend adding fresh ingredients, like cinnamon sticks, pine or oranges, but I think fresh pine might be a little strong if used by itself.







--holiday-inspired and glam decor accents, accessories that create a feel of coziness, personalized gifts for others




Projects:
  8. Twinkling Branch Room Dividers, Instructables
  9. White Christmas Mason Jar Luminaries, Ginger Snap Crafts
10. Christmas Candy Filled Containers (I found this on Google)
11. Pinecone and Lighted Pine Wreath Centerpiece (I found this on Tumblr)


Obviously, holiday-related decor items and accessories are some of my favorite projects to DIY for winter. I have simple tastes in the basic stuff, like furniture, wood finishes and the like, but I like pops of color, print and seasonal touches through the accessories that are displayed throughout the bedroom or home. It's a lot easier to switch things out when you keep the main components simple, allowing for the other accessories to give your home the seasonal touch you're looking for.

Seasonal elements that I like bringing into winter DIY projects are Christmas ornaments and candy canes, pinecones, icicle lights, small light strings, glitter, and flowers. I like a mix of glitz and glam from the holidays with rustic elements, like pinecones, acorns and pine leaves. Adding on to the comfort theme I mentioned up in the 'See' portion of the post, a project I'd really like to do is the blanket poncho. I'm all for leaving the house in a blanket but of course people will look at you weird, so if you can make it fashionable, I'm here for it. I like the versatility of blankets as outerwear--you can use them as ponchos, scarves or capelets. Using a throw blanket brings a little comfort from home with you and it's warm to boot. I love using the hot chocolate station as a decor piece, but if you'd also like it to be functional, take some tips from Your Homebased Mom's project that I have up in the Taste section.

I love doing holiday-related projects but my absolute favorite kinds of DIYs for this time of year are Christmas gifts. There's never a lot of money around the holidays so last-minute, cheap-as-shit shopping has unfortunately become my thing. My siblings have expensive tastes now that they're older, so rather than not getting them anything because I can't afford it, I try to make them something that I know they'll like, something they can use. I like the concept of personalized gifts anyway; it's my cheap ass rebellion against the commercialization of the holiday and allows me to put some thought into what I give people.


And that's what comes to mind when I think about winter. To be honest, this was probably the hardest one for me to do because winter is my least favorite season, despite it housing one of my favorite holidays. Winter is typically really difficult for me to get through for quite a few reasons; financial strain, my seasonal depression and the constant threat of illnesses are just the main three factors. As a result, it's hard for me to gather inspiration because usually, I'm counting down the days until spring is on the horizon. But that's another story for another day.

I tried to combine the feel I would like to have for winter with the things that I do like about it in an effort to try and get myself in the right mindset for the holidays and that's where this inspiration board came from. Even though it's not usually the best time of the year for me, I hope you have a fabulous holiday, whether you celebrate with family, friends or alone, and that you were able to find something to inspire you for winter. See you soon!


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment