Thursday, December 21, 2017

Winter Chill



Hi! This is my last inspo board for the year and after two years of doing these, I'm thinking of switching it up a bit. I still love my boards, but I want to try something different. Haven't fully decided what I'd like to do yet but I'm considering it. I like how this board came together and I actually posted it on time so I think I deserve some points for that. Anyway, let's get to the board. 





Color Palette: icy blue, pale pink, lilac, light gray, white, rose gold, and glittery colors (white, green, gold, silver and red)



I've found that a muted color palette relaxes me during this time of year, which is important to me as I am undoubtedly at my most anxious during the winter. The decreased sunlight, isolation, stress of the holidays (and three birthdays in a two-week time span) and whatever I have going on personally at the time often create a toxic cocktail for me so like I said during the fall inspo post, my main focus is to surround myself with things that are relaxing. I said all that to say that a muted color palette often helps me relax, so that's what I try to gravitate toward. I'm still here for the glittery colors though because duh, glitter. 


Beauty: dark halo and glitter eyes, nude lips, highlighted skin, dramatic wispy lashes, long, glittery or dark coffin nails


Despite not being here for the fancy fashion this year, there's no better time to roll out a dark, dramatic look than winter. I'm not feeling dark lips right now so I'd rather keep them nude, especially if I'm doing a darker eye. I don't worry much about my skin other than keeping it hydrated during the winter but this year I want highlighted, bright skin rather than the pale matte finish I usually have. Obviously with it being the holidays I'm here for the long, dramatic lashes and even though I can't maintain the claws for too long, I've been getting into them again. Shoutout to the women who can wear them year-round without scratching themselves in the vag or having to stop doing certain activities. I could never. LOL



Hair: holiday/seasonal headwrap fabrics, deep purple hair, shiny, deep waves or bone-straight hair


I haven't given too much thought to what I want done with my hair other than not looking like a fool for the holidays. lol I'm still into the headwraps but maybe in lieu of doing something complicated with my hair I'll just find holiday fabrics I can use as headwraps instead. The only thing I have given some thought to is the color. I'd prefer to color my natural hair because I'm getting bored with it but I have to build up the strength a little more so I'll settle for a black wig with purple undertones. lol Again, as far as styles go I don't have much in mind. I love center-parted, bone straight hair for this time of year but I also really like shiny, deep waves. They photograph well and hold up over long periods of time. 



Fashion: hoodies, loungewear, thick, fuzzy socks, black and nude lace, pom pom holiday tees, sweatpants, wedge sneakers, beanies


Since I have no life and no holiday parties to attend, I'm much less inspired by the fancy stuff for this winter than usual. Even though one of my favorite holidays falls during this time (New Year's), I always bring in the year at home and I'd rather be comfortable instead of trying to squeeze into something nice just to say I brought in the year looking human. I'd rather beat my face and wear sweats. lol Basically, my entire aesthetic for winter is to be a walking blanket. If I can comfortably sleep anywhere in what I'm wearing, it's a win. One of my few favorite things about this time of year is that my beloved beanies can finally make their triumphant return to my dome without overheating my scalp. This is a random note but I think I'd like another piercing. I've been going back and forth on it for a minute, but I think I'd like to make it a Christmas gift to myself. Go figure, I'm afraid of everything else in life but I have no issue with blood or needles. And who says God doesn't play jokes? LOL 



Headspace: cozy, reading, holiday, solitude, gift, warmth


There's never not a good time of year to make a fort but for me personally, the best time (ironically) to do it is always winter. Health complications aside, its the perfect time to make a bed fort, cocoon myself in a blanket and read. Forts are also surprisingly good at holding in heat so as it gets colder that's going to come in handy. I think I just feel safer, more comforted, in a small, secluded space. I'm claustrophobic though, so not too small. I really am a walking contradiction. Moving on, of course the holidays and gift giving are on my mind, but the former more for the stress they bring and the latter because I enjoy making gifts. I've found it easiest to make gifts for my sister, who also loves making gifts, but for my brothers I'm all thumbs. They're gamers too so even though I know exactly what they'd like, I can't afford any of it. It makes me supremely salty to think about buying PS4 games for others when I can't buy them for myself because I'm a console behind. lol 










I want to say I said this in last year's Winter Wonderland post (I had to slip it in here somewhere 😏), but in case I didn't, I'm not the biggest fan of Christmas music in general but if I have to hear Mariah Carey's All I Want for Christmas one more time I will rip the tracks off my wigs then pull out my own hair. When did that become 'the' Christmas song? Why couldn't we have kept it old school with my personal favorite, Nat King Cole's The Christmas Song? Or put a New Wave spin on it with Wham!'s Last Christmas, which is another favorite (not sure why, it's a song about Christmas heartbreak but I digress lol)? I'm not sure when the Christmas committee got together and decided that was the song, but I didn't attend the meeting, didn't put in my vote and if I had, it wouldn't have been for that song. ✋Okay. I'm getting really passionate about a song. Let me stop. Anyway, I included two playlists for this winter. I first included a Spotify playlist of contemporary holiday music because I know not everyone shares my disdain for it lol, then I included a YouTube mix by Pulse8, an ambient and chillstep channel, that I've been listening to lately. The latter has a lot of chill, mellow instrumentals which might sound a little depressing, but I've been loving it. The music, not the depression. lol 








cozy room decor, holiday and glitter heavy accessories and accents


From l to r: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11

I think one of my main focuses around this time of year is gifts. I love making gifts and treats for others; they're a good way for me to get better at DIYing things, they're affordable and come from the heart. I try to choose practical things so that I'm not the asshole making people things they clearly don't want or will ever have need for. I think my major goal is to create something that rivals or at least comes close to store quality without spending that amount of money. Like I said, its harder to do that for the males in my life but I'm figuring it out. Honestly, I'll probably cave and end up buying them something lol. I also enjoy winter DIYs, like different rustic-looking wall accents, luminaries and glittered accessories so that I can keep them up throughout the holidays. As I mentioned up above, if I can be a walking blanket during the winter I absolutely will, which is why there's a DIY blanket poncho included on this board. 😂








pine, peppermint, spice-based scents, woodsy and musky notes

 


1. BHG A Wonderful Winter--Peppermint, evergreen, winter citrus, mistletoe
2. B&BW Champagne and Glitter--champagne, pear, vetiver, cedarwood
3. BHG Candied Caramel Pecan--Cinnamon, clove, nutmeg
4. Yankee Candle Balsam and Cedar--Balsam, cedarwood, juniper
5. BHG Spiced Gingerbread Meringue--Gingerbread, cinnamon, clove, vanilla, buttered brown sugar
6. B&BW Fireside--cedar, clove, embers
7. BHG Warm Rustic Woods--Tobacco, cedar, patchouli, pink peppercorn, nutmeg, mandarin leaf, vanilla tonka
8. B&BW White Woods--white oak, cashmere musk, santal, vanilla bean
9. Yankee Candle Silver Birch--Siberian pine, clove, eucalyptus, cypress, pine, patchouli


For some reason, I prefer more masculine scents this winter; the woodsy, musky notes are much more my can of soda this year. The scents are cleaner and crisper than the floral musk scents I usually tend to gravitate to. Just to borrow from the winter theme of being mostly about food, I like the warmth of spice notes in my scents as well but I don't need my house smelling like gingerbread until April so it's better as just a footnote. The sweet elements like the crisp fruits and sweet accents kind of round out the woodsy or musky scent notes, which can be kind of bitter and harsh on their own. I also like the tree scents because they remind me of Christmas and winter, and since I'm allergic to pine I can't be out in the wild trying to get a whiff so I might as well get a candle that smells similar. lol








savory, slow cooked meats, filling sides, small desserts, stuffed entrees

From l to r:  1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13

I've realized that this year I'm not into the traditional holiday menus at all. I'm kinda over 'em. I'm a little over the holidays in general, if we're keeping it 100. What I am into this year are homemade sweets and treats. I don't like pie but I stay trying to make one. lol Even though I'd like to make a bunch of sweets, I noticed that I didn't include too many sweet treats on this season's board. I got caught up with things I want to cook and before I knew it, this collage (which isn't heavy on the sweet stuff at all) was born. Two things should be apparent by looking at this board: 1-I don't watch what I eat, especially during the winter (which partially explains why I've put on 15 pounds from the neck to the knees lmao) and 2-I really like cheese. My sister reminded me last week that a couple of Christmases ago my mom and her got me a bunch of mozzarella sticks as a shits and giggles gift but I was legit happy about it. I didn't remember that until she mentioned it but now that it's out there, I wouldn't mind it being a stocking stuffer this year. lol Anyway, I didn't notice until I'd finished the collage that I picked a bunch of thick, greasy food. My spring taste boards are always lighter on the palate so if this isn't your jam, check back with me in March. lol 



So that's this year's inspo board for winter. Compared to other parts of the country, Texas winters are mild by comparison but they're chilly enough for me and my busted ass immune system to stay in the house. lol Luckily, there's no snow on the horizon so for as long as that holds true, I'll take it. I'd be fine if it remained in the 60s all winter but since you can't have everything you want I'll be cocooning myself until March. I hope you liked this board; as I said before this might be my last seasonal one for a bit while I play around with different types of themes. What's inspiring you for winter this year?


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment