Saturday, September 30, 2017

What I've Been Watching: September


First things first, sorry for the off-centered month in the header; I didn't realize the photo had saved that way until I uploaded it here but was too lazy to go through the steps to correct it and send it back. lol The WIBW header is actively under construction right now, so you might see a few different headers while I tweak it a little bit. The entire list for this month actually comes from Netflix, which feels more rare than ever these days. I watched almost nothing but regular tv last month, won't have much time for tv next month, and YouTube isn't really poppin' right now so I went back to Netflix. Here's what I watched this month:







Taste of the Country

American Vandal

Scam City

Great World Hotels

The Confession Tapes

What's For Sale? With a View









One of my biggest issues with the programming on Netflix is that it doesn't have more food or wedding-oriented programming. I needed some background noise while I was making my niece's tutu for her birthday party a couple of weeks ago so I put on Taste of the Country because it looked vaguely interesting. I guess I underestimated the show because I ended up really liking it. lol The show follows a woman and her team as they plan weddings on her country farm and cater the food with fresh produce from her garden. Both of those are often her selling points, combined with the scenery, and I can see why. She has a beautiful plot of land and for those looking for outdoor country weddings, it's the perfect locale. 


I've been waiting for American Vandal to come out since I saw the teaser trailer a few months ago and I haven't finished the show just yet but I think it's hilarious so far. It's a mockumentary of the true crime genre in terms of the formatting, filming and overall style of true crime shows. American Vandal is about a high schooler known for his pranks and his focus on drawing dicks everywhere, much to the chagrin of both his classmates and teachers, but things take a turn when one day the camera over the school parking lot cuts out for a few minutes. Within those few minutes, penises are spray-painted on each of the cars in the parking lot. Of course everyone thinks its our resident prankster and despite his claims of innocence his history plays against him and he ends up expelled from school. A classmate, who doesn't think very highly of him, surprisingly believes ol' boy's innocent and breaks out his camera to get to the truth.  I remember when Netflix was trying to drum up excitement for the show and I saw the hashtag #WhoDrewTheDicks, which became one of my favorite tags ever. I know I didn't describe something that sounded comedic, but it's a riot, at least in my opinion. 


Scam City is a show I found last month and I didn't think it'd be as interesting as it actually is. This series exposes the seedy underbelly thriving underneath the touristy surface of some of the world's most famous locations. It explains how each city uses different tactics to get to their marks, where marks are the most vulnerable, and the host shows us all of these things by allowing them to happen to him. He then teaches the viewer how to keep an eye out for the various scammers and avoid the same fate happening to them. It sounded lighter than it actually ends up being; there were a few episodes that got quite intense because people resisted the host's efforts to expose or even talk about the scams going on in the city. The crew was threatened a few times and on one occasion, had to cut the episode short and leave for fear of local gangsters. It was insane but even if you're not an avid traveler, I still recommend watching the show. 


I love looking at different hotels around the world. For some reason when I think of the word 'luxury,' a plush, oversized hotel room always comes to mind. I don't think of fancy mansions or cars. I think of thick, fluffy robes, huge beds and room service. lol I saw Great World Hotels on the lineup a couple of weeks ago and wondered what hotels were like in different parts of the world. Something I noticed was that around these really opulent looking hotels, some of the cities seem to be in severe poverty. I wasn't sure how to feel about that, but I still liked the look of many of these hotels.


The only real heavy thing that I watched this month was a Netflix Original series called The Confession Tapes, which is kinda self-explanatory but I'll give you a few deets anyway. lol Each episode features a different case and the details surrounding the case, which are juxtaposed with 911 calls and both interrogation and confession tapes from the suspect(s) in that case. It's graphic and shows crime scene details, including bodies, so if you have a weak stomach or don't like watching shows where bodies aren't blurred out, maybe this isn't for you but I focused on the narration and interviews rather than what was showing up on the screen. It's a solid show.


I don't often watch home improvement and DIY shows on Netflix, but I wish they'd add a few more. I've seen What's For Sale? With a View in the recommended videos list but never watched it until earlier this month, when I wanted to find something a bit light to watch. I love my documentaries, but we're in dark ass times. I can't watch heavy stuff all the time on top of that. Basically, this show is about different homes for sale in scenic locations and the homes are stunning.


Pick of the Month: The Confession Tapes

Throwaway Pick: Great World Hotels
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment