Friday, September 22, 2017

Autumn Falls


Hi! First things first, I really don't like this header so I'm probably going to change it. I liked it at first but by the time I uploaded it here half an hour later, I was done with it. lol Anyway, happy first day of fall! The holidays are right around the corner, isn't that great? 😩 I'm bursting with excitement, as you can tell. I should probably warn you ahead of time that this won't be one of the more interesting seasonal inspo boards; I'm not looking forward to fall this year and would much rather skip forward to spring. I ended up being much more inspired by and ready for Halloween than fall, partially because I don't want it to get cold yet and partially because any fall activities in my neck of the woods cost an arm and a leg (for me) so I can't go to any. I may not be able to buy any Halloween costumes or do the more costly DIY projects, but I can paint a face and that's what I'm excited to do. Anyway, let's get to the boards!





Color Palette: nudes and neutrals, deep, muted mattes

nude, blush, mustard, black, hunter green, rust, sienna, chocolate, wine/burgundy



Fashion:
cropped sweaters, slouchy cardigans, strapped ankle booties, low wedge sneakers, moto and quilted jackets, plaid and flannel, high-waisted bell bottoms/wide leg pants, dark floral print, dark bohemian




I have this contradiction with fall fashion. I feel really drawn to structured pieces and textures, like houndstooth, leather, pleated trousers, and jackets. But on the flip, I also feel really drawn to more leisurely pieces, like joggers, henley tees and baggy cardigans. So basically I'm either going to look like I'm going to a business meeting in a high-rise office building, or like I'm making a quick run to Walmart for ice cream and tampons. lol I love the cozy feel of the season, but I also love the burst of new fashion we only got a peek at during the spring. Dark floral print isn't a new addition to my fall board, but I've been liking it in bohemian-inspired, loose-fitting tops. I love wedge sneakers, but I've noticed that different sneakers have different lifts in the shoe. I have a pair, but they're a bit higher than I thought they'd be and half a size larger, so they're a little uncomfortable for all-day wear. A lower, maybe more durable pair would probably be more my speed. Same for ankle booties; I'm not really digging the '90s booties everyone's been wearing; I didn't like them back in the '90s. lol A pair like the one in this picture, though, I can do. 

I've found myself all about the sweater this year. Slouchy, cropped, oversized, off-the-shoulder, I'm here for all of the above. Same with joggers, I've been liking a lot of different kinds this year. I'm not sure what the difference is between joggers and sweatpants, but nobody really says the latter anymore so I'm just gonna roll with it. lol Plaid and flannel are 'duh' choices for me this time of year, but I forgot to get a picture to include on the fashion board. Simpler pieces, like long-sleeved thermal henley tops, are a staple of mine for colder weather for both the look and comfort factors. 






Hair: deep purple, red or rose gold ombre, long, relaxed waves or springy curls, sleek and straight, headscarves and wraps, messy buns




The main notable entry on this season's hair board is the headwrap. I've been getting into them for a couple of months, partially out of laziness, but also because I think they may be a better fit for protecting my hair than a wig. I've spent much of the summer with a headache, so the last thing I want is a wigstrap sucking the oxygen out of my brain and a bunch of tracks making my scalp sweat. #nahbruh Enter scarves and wraps. I didn't feel one way or the other about them for years but I've been giving them a second...and third lol...look and I'm coming around. I've worn one out a few times and because I'm used to hiding behind hair, wearing a headwrap has made me feel a bit naked but it's also rather freeing not to have to worry about my hair. 

Not wanting the headache (literally) that comes with the wigs doesn't mean I'm over them, though. lol I'm always gonna be here for a good one. I'm just not trying to wear one every time I leave the house anymore. I'm a little bored as far as color is concerned and although I still love me a good 1B domepiece, I miss having color in my life. I've been on this purple kick since sometime last year, but I haven't found the plum and black color of my wig fantasies yet so I'm still looking. 

A black and plum or deep red ombre like the ones in the pictures would be perfect for this time of year and I'm determined to look near and far, high and low, for that dream wig. When I do have one on, I have that contradiction again when it comes to pairing it with fall fashion. I love sleek, straight, middle-parted hair for this time of year; I've always liked that against a leather or structured jacket. I also love messy hair against a more casual outfit; a messy bun with loose pieces or half up, half down are longtime favorites. 

My hair is still growing back out, but I recently trimmed about 1" of dead ends so now I have this awkward length and due to good ol' 4C shrinkage, I'm at a loss for how to style it. That was why I included a couple of short Natural styles on the board. Both of those styles are okay with me and if I can get my hair to do either one, I'm willing to wear my wigs a little less. A little. I'm bored with my natural color as well; I've only colored my actual hair once and that was back during my senior year of high school when I was trying to stunt for my yearbook pictures. LOL Now that there are safer color options for Natural hair, I'm here for coloring it again. I'm thinking black with plum or navy undertones. The Irish is about to come out in my skin hardbody, so I need some color in my life. 






Beauty: eyeshadows in shades of orange and brown, matte face, dark statement lips, gory and artistic Halloween makeup, dark-colored coffin/ballerina shaped nails with seasonal accents 



This year is much less about the glam side of makeup and more about the Halloween side of it. Like I said up in the intro, I've been more excited about Halloween than fall lately; the change of seasons has done nothing for me except remind me that Halloweenie is nearby. lol For regular makeup, what I've been looking at is pretty basic and probably nothing I haven't already mentioned in a previous inspiration post. I'd prefer shades of orange or brown on the eyes, natural to wispy looking lashes, and dark statement lips. The four colors I'd like to try on the lips this year are oxblood, chocolate, plum and black. I haven't been so concentrated on the eyes; I've even moved away from my winged liner in favor of a dark brown smoked out lashline.

As for Halloween makeup though, I'm here for all of it. Beautiful, artistic looks, gory, SFX effect looks, sign me up for all of it. The zipper and steampunk looks are more of a goal I'd like to accomplish at some point; I don't think I can do either one just yet but I like to push my skills a little further each year. This year, the main goal is the zombie/missing eye photo on the board; I think I can handle it but it's going to be a challenge. I'm self-taught and don't have access to many of the supplies used in the looks I like, so it takes a lot of practice and finagling to get a finished result I'm satisfied looks close to the original.

Something I try to do every holiday is paint my nails (I know, corny). I wash my hands a lot and I'm clumsy, so I never hold out high hopes that any coat of polish will last long on my nails. For holidays though, I'm trying to show up and show out. lol I'm no good with the usual length of coffin nails, but I love the shape and thinness of the nail. The spider accent and drippy blood sets of nails are probably the two I like the most but with the length of the sparkly black set.






Headspace: cozy, forest, warmth, haunted, reading, relax, solitude, lights



To be honest, I'm not exactly waiting with baited breath for fall weather. Even though I like the vibe that colder days give off, I'm not eager to confine myself to the house for the next five months. I love colder days when nobody has to go anywhere and we can tuck ourselves away in our own little corners all day long. I'm just not here for a cold day everyday. lol I find myself much more inspired this year by Halloween and creating a cozy atmosphere for myself to spend the next few months in. Let me just say, having seasonal depression, a lowered immune system and agoraphobia (among a host of other things) really sucks a lot of the time. So its of the utmost importance to me that I try to spend the colder months as comfortable, happy and productive as I possibly can. Since I'm largely indoors for months at a time, I try to bring the seasons to me, which is why I love the "Touch" portion of these inspo boards so much. It helps the depression part of things a lot. 

I'm getting ready to start Octoberfest over on ATV so if you don't hear much from me here throughout next month, don't be surprised. If you're into creepy, haunted and morbid stuff you should check out the series; I do it every year and its always a ton of fun. That's what the cemetery, haunted looking house, and the foggy forest pictures are inspired by. Ironically, I don't think I'm even doing haunted houses this year but it still reminded me of the series so I included it. lol

Sorry this fall's headspace isn't too interesting; other than Halloween, my cocoon and Octoberfest, I'm not all that excited about it. I'm okay with the soul burning heat of summer going away, but I wouldn't mind if it stayed short sleeve weather warm for awhile longer. Enough complaining though. This fall doesn't have much in the way of headspace inspiration, but last year's Autumn Aesthetic does. Like how I slipped that bit of past post promo in there, huh? lol










sandalwood, eucalyptus, musk, drier, slightly masculine and woodsy notes combined with sweet accent notes, cinnamon, brown sugar


1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9


Vetiver Sandalwood--vetiver grass, sandalwood, warm musk
Autumn Simmer Pot--orange, apple, cinnamon
Bourbon Butterscotch--caramelized sugar, warm butter, bourbon 
Cider Lane--caramel, green apple, dark brown sugar, ground clove
Cashmere Woods--amber, vanilla bean, citrus, jasmine
Leaves--red apple, golden nectar, warm clove spice
Vanilla Pumpkin Marshmallow--vanilla, pumpkin spice, marshmallow, caramel
ScentSationals Zen--eucalyptus, spearmint, white pine, Egyptian musk, sandalwood
Pumpkin Pecan Waffles--maple syrup, golden waffles, pumpkin spice, brown sugar


First of all, let me just inform you that Bath and Body Works has played with my emotions for the first and last time. While I was looking up the candles with the scent notes I was going for, I found out that they did not release Marshmallow Fireside with the rest of the seasonal collection this year! They did not ask for my permission to do this, I would have denied them permission if they'd asked, and I didn't sign up for any of it. Where's my damn candle, B&BW?!? Kidding. But seriously, I wish they'd released it; it's my favorite all-time candle scent.

As for scents I'm gravitating toward this fall, I've been liking deeper, muskier notes, but with an accent of a seasonal scent, like pumpkin, caramel or apple. It dials down the woodsy note, which I sometimes find overwhelming on its own, and adds a bit of softness to it. If its rounded out by smaller floral notes, that's even better. A lot of the scent notes in the candles I chose this time around are rather similar, but it also has a lot to do with the other secondary notes and the strength level of each ingredient. I took it easy on the pumpkin this year as well; since it's become both the visual and culinary representative of fall I notice myself backing away from it more and more. Also, pumpkin in large doses is nauseating. Yeah, I said it.










Halloween-related decor, pumpkin-less decor, skull and skeleton-related projects, rustic/vintage-inspired items for both fall and Halloween



There is a lot less decor for a 3-month season and a lot more for a 1-day holiday on this board. lol Over the years, Halloween has become my favorite holiday in terms of creating projects; it was actually Halloween that inspired my DIY for Cheaper (which I promise is coming soon) series and got me into SFX makeup looks. The projects I'm most excited to try and price for an installment of DIY FC are the embracing skeletons in the frame, the skeleton and rose wreath, and the skeleton filled with flowers.

A vintage-inspired look to Halloween decor is never far from my mind as the Gothic, Victorian and Edwardian periods are my favorite historical eras, and I love sprinkling that into more modern projects. The little candy jars on the board would probably be turned into 1800s-era apothecary jars and the picture frame in the skeleton picture would remain as is because it already looks vintage. There's also a picture floating around somewhere with a Gothic-style candelabra for Halloween, which I'd also utilize in the decor.

As for fall, I'd keep it simple and nature-inspired. I love the concept of reusing smaller pieces of tree stump to insert tealights into; they'd make for a beautiful entryway table accent. The candy corn tealights would be good placed at various places throughout a room for some color, and I am in love with the pinecone bouquet as a centerpiece. The lighted skeletal hands or mason jar candles would bring that seasonal element to windows or fireplace mantles. I really like the combination of candles and seasonal colors for decor, but I can't find many fall tutorials that don't use either pumpkins or leaves, (which I don't want to overdo) so I wasn't able to find too many fall projects I liked this year.

As a random aside that I didn't include on the board, I'm all the way into blanket forts and tents this year. All the way. I think my mini-me would like it too so that's definitely on my list. My sister and I are having a blanket fort party on Halloween so we can watch Hocus Pocus while the kids are out trick-or-treating, and by the time mini-me comes home with her candy we'll already have it all set up. I can't wait.










roasted vegetables, thick sauces, baked mini pies and desserts, fresh jams and preserves, smoked meats, game day food



1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
(#7 is no longer a functioning website so there is no link. My suggestion is to
try this recipe from Giada de Laurentiis if you want fried ravioli bites.)

Last year, I was more inspired by specific flavors rather than types of food or specific dishes. This year, I find myself much more excited to make mini desserts and pies (even though I only eat two kinds of pie lol) than anything else. I've been into making jams, butters and preserves for a few years now and I'll make at least one a year, but I'd like to try jams I've never made before. Baked treats and the like are also on my favorites list this year. So is game food, as football has finally returned to my life. I'm still intrigued by making finger foods, mainly because since it's cocoon season I want a bunch of cute little snacks to eat in my fort. lol

I'm a little surprised that I have roasted vegetables on the list this year, but I think I'm much more inspired by food I'd like to cook rather than food I'd like to eat and roasted vegetables are something I'd like to cook. I've been wanting to prepare a lot of foods with a sweet, smoky taste which brings me to the meats. I've been wanting meats with peppered crusts, thick, sweet sauces on top (for some reason I've had my brain set on playing around with a bourbon barbecue sauce and I don't even like cooking with alcohol), smoky, roasted vegetables alongside it, and a mini tartlet or pie to finish things off. You could easily tweak this meal skeleton to make it appropriate for summer, but a thicker, warmer base with a smoked accent seems more suited for fall.









calmer, softer beats (my usual lol)



Per usual with me, the music I prefer during the fall changes a bit and I start moving toward more mellow, moody beats. I'm a big fan of ambient music anyway, but this increases during the colder months. I'm not trying to hear a bunch of screaming and bass drops while I'm trying to read a book during the middle of a November night, ya know? The change of vibe almost demands a change in tunes and I end up scrambling to find new playlists. Here's a last minute one I found but I've been enjoying it.



So that wraps up this year's fall inspiration. Basically, I'm not ready for the end of warm weather but I'm completely ready for Halloween. lol Other than the "See" and "Touch" sections, I think this season's inspiration was rather simple. If it erred on the side of boring for you, I apologize. I'm getting better at the graphics end of things though, so I hope if you weren't able to get anything out of the content that you at least liked the pictures. lol I have a couple more fall-related posts I'm going to roll out over the next week or so to kick the mood into fall, so be on the lookout for those. You'll be seeing me later today; this week's Self-Love entry will be up later this evening and I'd really love if you came back to read it. Per usual, I hope you enjoyed today's post and I'll see you later!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment