Monday, December 9, 2013

Firmoo and Me

I had originally written a post that was supposed to be about my hunt for glasses but it turned into a kinda long, personal experience that got me away from the reason I started the post in the first place. So I scrapped it and started over.

Anyway, I've been a member of the four-eyed fan club since I was 7, but if you're familiar with glasses in the '90s, you already know the options were limited unless your parents bought your frames themselves. I was a gubment baby, so Medicaid paid for mine. At that point I also became a member of the Urkel glasses club and was stuck with them until just before my freshman year. Big frames bring back bad memories for me, so the fact that they're trendy today makes me just a little salty. Fortunately though, today's version of big glasses are more streamlined, sophisticated and thinner (in terms of frame width). They're not quite the embarrassment that they were 20+ years ago. I wish that had been the case back then, but I digress. I've since upgraded my frames and have been sporting what I call the "modern librarian" look for about 5 years. They're pretty similar to these Fendi reading glasses.
I'm getting kind of bored with them though, so I've been on the hunt for a new pair of specs. That brings me to Firmoo, an online optical retailer that sells a number of glasses online and even allows you to order a free sample pair before purchasing. I first came across the company through YouTube, where one of the beauty personalities I watch mentioned it in one of her videos. The recommendation came at just the right time because I had been striking out looking for some good frames on my own. So I checked the site, and had a little bit too much fun looking at glasses. I like that you can either look at the glasses on someone with a face shape similar to your own, or you can upload a photo of yourself and try out the frames that way. Once you upload your photo, you select the proper width of your face, which the site calls a PD (I don't know what that means) and above each pair of glasses, it'll specify the PD that the glasses would suit best, which is another good thing. I like that you are allowed as many options to customize the process as possible and ensure you get glasses that are a good fit for your face, something that is often left out when ordering things online. Either way it's not cold ordering, which I like. They've got an array of colors and varieties in terms of both size and frame design; some are simple and classic, others are retro, some are slim and chic, others are modern and then there's some kooky prints and colors for those of you with more courage than me. lol I think it makes the process of selecting a frame a little more interesting than looking at a bunch of identical frames at the doc's office. Or is that just with my eye doctor? LOL Anyway, the price of the frames is also very affordable, especially compared to the price of designer and other name brand frames. I'm still looking for a pair that I'd like to sample, but here are some of the frames that I've been peeking at:


http://www.firmoo.com/eyeglasses-p-2302.html#3515
The #F03 model is $39

These frames are a good deal larger than mine and round whereas mine are square, which of course starts the bad memory parade again lol but I do like these frames. 







http://www.firmoo.com/eyeglasses-p-2418.html
The #F017 frames are also $39
These frames are much more "retro librarian" and much more my style. I've always been partial to cat-eyed frames though; my sunglasses are this exact shape. I've been trying (and failing) to find some affordable cat-eyed or similar frames for years; I think they give me some individuality and flatter my face. 






The #DBSN62096 frames are $39 as well
These frames are much more today's "nerd" version. I see them everydamnwhere. What I do like is the difference in color; the top part of the frames are simple black, while the bottoms are I believe some tortoise-shelled color. I do like that part. They remind me a bit of aviator glasses with the shape, kind of squared off at the top and rounder at the bottom. 




Firmoo has the frames separated by the ones you can order for the free trial and then the frames you can purchase, but as you can see the prices aren't too bad at all. I do wonder how much it would be to get mine done to the level I need it at; my eyesight is the pits so I have really thick lenses that I usually get shaved down, I have astigmatism in my left eye and it's weaker so it also tends to overcompensate. Creating my lenses is neither easy or cheap and this affects the types of frames that I am able to order because the frame has to be strong and wide enough to hold my entire lens. I also have a tendency to fall asleep in them....or just fall...in them, so they need to be too legit to quit. I would like to try a sample though, and if nothing else I can see if Medicaid has a similar frame when it's time for my eye appointment next May. I really like the third frame I included here, but I'm probably going to go for the cat eyes. They've become my self-imposed signature. If you're in the market for specs as well, I suggest checking out their site. You can check out the free trial frames, the regular frames, or the discounted frames (although this list is pretty small). These links are for the women's frames, but there are some for males as well. I'll do an updated post once I've tried the frames out for a couple of days. 


*Have you heard of Firmoo before or tried out their free samples? If you have, what did you think of the frames? Let me know in a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment