Thursday, December 12, 2013

No Mo' Daytime Suds!

Well, as the title says, the daytime portion of this blog has ceased entirely because I no longer watch soap operas, hence the name and URL change (finally!). My love for soaps is in a 'the way they were' kind of way now, and I haven't watched them in so long that I'd be completely lost if I tried to start back up again. I have no interest in testing that theory out, however, so I figured it was time I removed soaps from the description and URL entirely as I won't be going back to them. As cheesy as it probably sounds, soaps have played an integral part in my life for most of my life. They got me through some tough periods within the past few years and gave me a much needed escape. I relied on them as a normal part of my day. I felt like a large part of me grew with the characters. But times have changed and I just don't find them exciting anymore. With the chain-yanking that I feel us fans had to endure with Prospect Park as well as the upcoming cancellation of SoapNet, I don't even want to bother trying to get back into soaps again. It's just not the same. For some, the change is a good thing. For me, though, it's the dynamics of the soap that I feel have changed and that's what I miss, not necessarily certain characters. It was the dynamic and the atmosphere that got me watching some of them in the first place, and even if I took small breaks because certain storylines were boring, it was always the feeling that brought me back. I just don't feel that when I watch them now. A few too many faces are gone now and while I did say earlier that it was the dynamics I miss, it's difficult (for me anyway) to remain as attached when it feels like a completely new soap every time you go back. It's kind of like a bad relationship. When what brought you there is gone and there isn't anything equally intriguing to take its place, it's time to go. I'm sure this all sounds melodramatic, but sue me. I've been watching soaps since I was 2. I got very attached to the familiar faces, the rollercoaster storylines and the soaps being in my life over the many years that I watched them. I saw many faces come and go, I saw some come back to stay while others dipped in and back out just as quickly, I spent many an evening watching SoapNet in tears, crying like I knew these people. Don't judge me. I know I'm not the only soap fan with Overly Attached Syndrome. LOL

I don't want to make this some long, overdrawn story. The point is that because I no longer watch soaps and have no intention to start watching again, I decided that it was finally time to change the URL of the blog and explain its new focus. I swear at the end of almost every year I end up changing something on this blog. lol This one was important, however, because the URL no longer applied and became misleading. So as of today, there will be no more soap opera coverage of any kind on this site. If it's something big like a cancellation or a death, then I'll probably mention it. Otherwise, the Daytime Suds category of this site will be shut down and I will no longer be covering any of the soaps.

The new name of the site reflects things perfectly. Random Reviews 'n Things covers both the random reviews that I already do (makeup, subscription boxes, tv shows, movies, video games, etc.) and the other things that I decide to post about. All of it forms this spontaneous collage of content that doesn't have just one area of focus because I am incapable of making just one thing my focus. lol So basically, I just switched one thing out for another.....again. I'm going to keep posting reviews (if you have any ideas for things I should cover, email me or send me a comment!) but random posts like DIY projects that I'm doing will pop up from time to time. I'm starting a new thing next year called the Pinterest Project, where I'm going to try to cover one DIY a month from my DIY board. I'm covering a lot of things with the next year. I'm going to do a 365-day photo challenge as well as a small daily challenge for myself and I'm going to blog about it on my primary blog if you'd like to follow along or just check my progress, and I'm also going to take part in a historical romance reading challenge, which I'm covering on my vintage blog. That's some of what I'm doing, but they're all small things I can integrate into my day. Wanting to mention those things on here is what brought me to change the name of the blog; I already have two other blogs but they have a set purpose. One is for anxiety, while the other is for the vintage lifestyle. The things in my life that don't fit either of those categories don't have anywhere to go, so the "Things" part of the blog will now cover all that stuff. I am yet again trying to change the design up for the blog so it's going to look pretty plain Jane and simple for a little while. Either way, I hope you stick around!

No comments:

Post a Comment