Thursday, June 4, 2009

Midweek Rant---Week of June 1, 09

Y&R: Amber seems to have an affinity for the radio. She did the same radio trick when Phyllis called in on the other line and bitched her out on the air, and now she's doing it again to clear hers and Kevin's names. So just because one Tommy LaSorda said that they were in the clear, now we're supposed to believe everyone else agrees, just lickety-split like that? I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm glad they're wrapping up the storyline as I found the entire thing kinda dumb if you want the truth, but I don't think getting approval from one radio host classifies as necessarily 'cleared of everything.' The only thing I liked about this storyline is that it gave Jeanne Cooper her first real storyline in awhile, Greg Rikaart was able to show his chops, and I was able to go awhile without being irritated at Amber, a character I haven't liked since she hit the scene on B&B. I'm glad its over though.

Billy finally told Chloe this week about possibly being the father of Sharon's babe. I'm not too invested in this storyline either--Chloe reminds me of an irritating, constantly barking Chihuahua, Billy is....ehh, and this new revision of Mac just isn't...Mackenzie. She seems like she forced herself into this engagement with Raul (hel-LO David Lago!! Still mouth-watering as always) to get over Billy, and we all know how that's going to work. Snoozer. Wake me when it's over.

Since I read the spoilers, I already feel sorry for what Lily's about to go through. Again. Cane's putting her through the ringer about something he's hiding and it's going to tear them apart even sooner than I thought. Look, maybe I'm a loser, but I still think she was better with Daniel. I know it was a 'young love' relationship and it was probably always meant to end at some point, but sue me. I thought they were cute. I think this whole thing with Katherine's memoirs is going to turn everything upside down for Lily and it's going to be awhile before she can trust again. I think Cane could be one of the good guys (he's certainly good-looking, that's for sure...mm) but will the writers allow it? Probably not just yet. So for the moment, everything he's doing and continues to do to Lily while attempting to play the part of devoted, faithful husband just classifies him as a junior version of scum in my book. Do I think Cane loves Lily? Yes, very much. Do I think they can get past this? Depending on what Cane's hiding, in time, yes. Do I think they can make a relationship work? As sad as I am to say it, no. Cane's too shady and too shifty to ever give himself completely to another woman, even Lily, who I don't doubt means the world to him. But that contradiction between feelings and actions is why it can't work.

AMC: Zach and Kendall's speedy divorce was obviously a plotline twist so that they could toss Kendall into the situation she found herself in today--choosing between Zach and Ryan to marry. Ryan was very quick in volunteering Zach, and Kendall didn't put up as much objection as I thought she should have, since she's apparently fully moved on from Zach......right. She's totally still in love with him, and I think deep down Ryan knows it. I think he's just waiting for Kendall to stop denying it, more so to herself than anyone else. Neither of them seem too invested in their 'relationship' and it seems like they're just using each other as filler for not having another suitable partner at the moment. They're familiar to each other, they provide comfort and a stable bed buddy. I think the love is there on some level, but it's not deep enough or just not convincing me that it's got long-term potential. Other than Kendall, there's no current damsel in distress so Ryan's got no replacement prospects. Annie's in the pen (even though a Ryannie reunion is pretty much dead on the water at this point--Ryan looks at Annie with nothing short of mild disgust in his eyes now), Krystal's trying to hitch her saddle back on Tad's post, Amanda's got Jake, Taylor's off in the Chandler attic with Jonathan, Ava and Brot, and I believe almost every other female on the show is married or otherwise unavailable. He's too smart to go for Erica, although I think she could chew him up and spit him out for a snack. Miss Erica Kane is too much woman for Mr. Ryan 'I Am That Monster' Lavery. Even though Zach still loves Kendall, they're still worlds apart and you can see it, even when they're standing right next to each other. I wish these fools would get married  under better circumstances one of these days--the first time they got hitched, she was knocked up with Ryan's kid and couldn't stand the ground Zach walked on. This time, they're getting married so that Zach doesn't have to testify against Kendall. I hope they find their way back to each other--I hate when children are brought into the mix constantly to reunite bickering parents (I know the show is called All My Children so children are meant to be plotline bases, but it's not called All My Children in All My Hospitals......give the kid some peace already) and this whole relationship with Kendall and Ryan feels so forced its unreal. Kendall and Ryan had more chemistry when Kendall was butting into his relationship with Greenlee. Snoozer!

Pete and Colby found Liza's letter with blood on it. Did Liza kill Stuart? My money is on no, although signs are starting to appear as though she has more to hide than she's letting on. I wasn't around for the original Liza Colby's stay in Pine Valley, but I've heard all the hype surrounding Liza's story. I was excited to see just who this Liza was and why she was hated by most of Pine Valley. And I'll tell you, I'm not feeling it. I am familiar with Jamie Luner's work, but I don't think she's Liza Colby. That name brings about alot of history and roots and I just don't feel it with this actress. I feel like there's been so many scenes that should have been poignant, full of emotion and depth, but they fall flat. The words lose their meaning and become just that--words. When Colby tearfully disowned Liza at Stuart's services, did Liza's face hold the pain and grief that a normal parent's face should hold after hearing something like that come from someone they carried in their stomach for 9 months? No. Simple as that. She looked flat and emotionless, as she does in all of her scenes. I was thinking that from the first scene I saw her in that called for at least a modicum of depth, but I figured-she's new to the show, she's got huge shoes to fill. Give her time. 'Liza' has been back in town for over a month. Nothing's changed. I really hope that in light of Stuart's murder, Liza does not turn out to be the culprit and she and Colby are at least able to reach an understanding and begin to build on their relationship. I don't like how Adam and Colby's relationship is going to be changed now that Colby knows everything--I appreciated that at least one father-daughter relationship wasn't so messed up like many of the others on this show--Greenlee and Jack's, Babe and David....Marissa and David lol.....anyone and David.....but Colby and Adam had a relationship that I felt was at least somewhat normal. I don't like how that's being thrown under the bus so that Liza can come establish herself in Colby's life. Now we're supposed to think Liza's been this caring, devoted mother all this time and erase all Colby's anger at her. I'm not buying it and I think it's a Band-Aid so that when Colby inevitably turns on Adam and goes with Liza, it seems realistic. Boo. Why can't a child on this show have two parents who hate each other (won't have to go far there--most former spouses who are now parents hate each other--speaking of which, it seems as though Pine Valley is full of people who hate each other. I know the economy's bad but hasn't someone thought of moving, maybe up to Llanview or Port Charles or something?) but can come together to give the child a relationship with both parents separately? Is that not possible or something? A relationship has to be split in order to make way for another. I don't think that has to happen every time. Say what you want about Adam, but he loves Colby. I don't put it past him to keep Liza's letters from her, but he wouldn't want to hurt her intentionally. I hope the writers don't forget that and allow Colby to forget it either as they start driving the inevitable wedge between them. Adam does deserve Colby's anger as it took three years from her relationship with her mother that she can't have back. There were homecomings and proms and dates and birthdays that Liza missed, because Adam kept the letters from Colby and and added onto her hurt by allowing her to think Liza didn't care. But does he deserve to lose his daughter? No. He needs her, now more than ever with Stuart gone. Be back later for my rant on OLTL and GH.

No comments:

Post a Comment